Saturday, November 21, 2020

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...Last week I linked to my post with reviews of 15 Hallmark Christmas movies. Here are two new articles which might be of interest to Hallmark fans: "Hallmark Holiday Movies Deliver Comfort and Joy in Dark Times" and "How Hallmark Keeps Winning the War for Christmas." (A TIMELESS CHRISTMAS with Erin Cahill and Ryan Paevey, seen here, was a big ratings hit.) This year more than ever, we can all use Christmas cheer! My Disney ornament tree went up a little earlier than usual today.

...New from McFarland: LAW ENFORCEMENT IN AMERICAN CINEMA: 1894-1952 by George Beck.

...I enjoyed reading Grand Old Movies on a hard-to-find Lana Turner film, FLAME AND THE FLESH (1954). Apparently there's no longer a negative or a decent print, which is sad to hear.

...Here's an update on the American Cinematheque's sale of the Egyptian Theatre to Netflix. The promotion of Gwen Deglise seems encouraging, as I've admired her work as a programmer. Big news is that Netflix is going to remove the balcony, which was added to the 1922 theater in 1998.

...Speaking of the Egyptian Theatre: Another drive-in theater is popping up in Hollywood, this time in the Egyptian Theatre's parking lot. It sounds like it will screen an eclectic assortment including indie films, documentaries, and classic films. Admission will be $40 per car. It opens next month.

...In coming weeks I'll be reviewing a new book from Turner Classic Movies and Running Press, THIS WAS HOLLYWOOD: FORGOTTEN STARS AND STORIES. Here's an interview with author Carla Valderrama.

...A couple weeks ago I reviewed Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard in THE GHOST BREAKERS (1940). Here's author James Reasoner on the movie at his blog Rough Edges. I liked that he shared my appreciation for Willie Best in this film, who shines as Hope's partner in comedy.

...Last week I wondered about the theatrical future of the upcoming blockbuster WONDER WOMAN 1984 (2020) and that question has now been answered: On Christmas Day it will debut simultaneously in theaters, where available, and on HBO Max streaming for those who are unable to see it in a theater. It will play on HBO Max for one month at no extra charge to subscribers. Gal Gadot and Chris Pine star. Since California theaters were just closed again, looks like it's Christmas Day streaming for us, along with Pixar's SOUL (2020) which will debut the same day on Disney+.

...In related news, the streaming service HBO Max is finally available for Amazon Fire tablets and TV. It's still not available for Roku.

...Coming in January from Flicker Alley: LAUREL OR HARDY: EARLY FILMS OF STAN LAUREL AND OLIVER HARDY, a 2-disc Blu-ray set.

...Disney is considering switching some of its upcoming live-action films from theatrical release to debuting on Disney+, including CRUELLA (2021) and the planned live-action PINOCCHIO starring Tom Hanks as Gepetto.

...Universal and Cinemark Theatres have agreed to shrink the theatrical to pay-per-view streaming window for movies to a mere 31 days, and films which open to less than $50 million at the domestic box office will be allowed to stream after just 17 days.

...In my Christmas watch stack: FEAST OF THE SEVEN FISHES (2019), set in 1983. Here's a brief review from the blog Ho! Ho! Holiday Viewing.

...I enjoyed Leonard Maltin's review of the documentary THE DONUT KING (2020). My friend Raquel Stecher reviewed it earlier this year. If my Kino Lorber DVD screener arrives as anticipated, I'll be reviewing it here as well!

...Hard to believe, but it was 40 years ago on November 21st that we found out who shot J.R. on DALLAS.

...My friend Erica just wrote about Dana Andrews and Claude Rains in SEALED CARGO (1951) at her blog Poppity Talks Classic Film. If the schedule hasn't changed -- TCM no longer has advance info on their site -- SEALED CARGO will air on Turner Classic Movies in early December.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my November 14th roundup.

Have a great week!

8 Comments:

Blogger Vienna said...

Thanks for link to Egyptian article. Such a beautiful venue.
And I shall look out for Carla Valderrama’s book - hope you’ll be doing a review.

2:00 AM  
Blogger Ted S. (Just a Cineast) said...

So now Netflix has a dedicated place to show its movies to get them Oscar-eligible.

(I assume there's no other real reason for them to buy the Egyptian.)

10:56 AM  
Blogger Caftan Woman said...

Much of interest. I'm still distressed about TCM not providing the near future content. I can think of no reason for the reversal.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Glad to know you enjoyed, Vienna! I'll definitely be reviewing the book, it looks quite interesting.

I continue to share your frustration at the way TCM has rolled back the availability of information, Caftan Woman. I keep hoping they'll update the "new" site and make it more user-friendly, but we're still waiting...

Best wishes,
Laura

5:54 PM  
Blogger Seth said...

THIS WAS HOLLYWOOD is on my Christmas list, so I will be looking forward to your review. Thanks also for the Egyptian article, which eases some of the concerns I had when first learning about the Netflix sale. I will miss the balcony--I sat there for both ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ and THE DOLLY SISTERS at last year's TCMFF and especially enjoyed being so close to that marvelous ceiling--but the proposed restoration to the palace's 1922 splendor is also very exciting.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Seth said...

Oh, and speaking of your Disney ornament tree, I have a tiki friend just furloughed from Disneyland who's sending me a couple of new ornaments for my tree: elevations of the Firehouse and the Tiki Room with the "inside view" on the back (in case you need ideas for additions to your collection....)

1:05 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm enjoying THIS WAS HOLLYWOOD so far, Seth! I'm juggling it with Scott Eyman's big Cary Grant bio which I'll also be reviewing.

My favorite memory of the Egyptian balcony was literally running from the Chinese multiplex to the Egyptian in eight minutes (I timed it! LOL) during a TCMFF and getting one of the last seats in the back row of the balcony for the nitrate screening of LAURA (1944).

Best wishes,
Laura

1:09 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Wow, those ornaments sound great! :) Need to do some Googling...

So sorry about your friend being furloughed...we know people who have lost jobs there or are at risk of that.

Best wishes,
Laura

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older