Sunday, February 21, 2021

Tonight's Movie: My Dream Is Yours (1949) - A Warner Archive Blu-ray Review

MY DREAM IS YOURS (1949) is one of a pair of Doris Day musicals being released on Blu-ray by the Warner Archive this week.

The other film is ON MOONLIGHT BAY (1951), which I'll be reviewing here in the near future.

This duo of bright and cheerful musicals are just what the world needs right now.  Indeed, after watching an unusually dark film last night the first thing I did was pop Doris in the Blu-ray player, ready for the sunshine and rainbows that only Doris can provide.

MY DREAM IS YOURS is one of my favorite Doris Day movies, which I first reviewed here in 2008 after a magical evening sitting in on my daughter's musicals class with Drew Casper at the University of Southern California.

Doris plays Martha Gibson, a young widow and mother who aspires to a singing career.  She's discovered by agent Doug Blake (Jack Carson) after he's dumped by his star client, radio singer Gary Mitchell (Lee Bowman, with singing dubbed by Hal Derwin).

Martha initially struggles to find success, until Doug realizes that Martha should be crooning ballads rather than singing jaunty novelty tunes.  Martha then makes the big time, but her love life is a mess, as she's torn between glamorous Gary and dependable Doug.  

This was only Doris's second film, following ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS (1948), but she owns the screen from her first scene and doesn't let go for the entirety of the movie's 101 minutes.  The camera loved her, and she seemed to love being in the movies right back, a completely confident performer.  

Doris easily handles both light comedy and tearful scenes, and she sings a number of good songs, including Harry Warren and Al Dubin's "I'll String Along With You" and the title song, by Warren and Ralph Blane.  She's a joy.

Doris has excellent chemistry with her ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS costar Carson; the viewer feels that they genuinely like each other.  I really like Carson in this pair of films; his mellow, supportive personality is appealing.  

The cast is rounded out by a dependable cast including Eve Arden, S.Z. "Cuddles" Sakall, Adolphe Menjou, Lee Bowman, and Selena Royle.  Faces like Edgar Kennedy, Sheldon Leonard, and Franklin Pangborn also pop up, and Duncan Richardson is cute as Martha's little boy.

This is another great Warner Archive Blu-ray print, showing off the glorious Technicolor work of Wilfrid M. Cline and Ernest Haller.  The film is absolutely beautiful, with the "vintage" looks at 1940s Hollywood a particular treat.  Coming from an era where I first saw many movies edited and riddled with commercials, I don't think I'll ever quite get over my amazement at being able to play a beautiful print like this any time I wish.

Michael Curtiz, who also worked with Day and Carson on ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS, capably directed.  The Bugs Bunny animated sequence was directed by Friz Freleng.

Extras carried over from the film's original DVD release include a trailer, the cartoon A HAM IN A ROLE (1949), and two shorts, SO YOU WANT TO BE AN ACTOR (1949) and THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER (1950).  The disc also has a song selection menu.

Thanks to the Warner Archive for providing a review copy of this Blu-ray. Warner Archive Blu-rays may be ordered from Amazon or from any online retailers where Blu-rays are sold. 

5 Comments:

Blogger barrylane said...

A personal all-time favorite, although I wish Cuddles Sakall did not play an imbecile. Doris Day is already at her best, perhaps all time, but without Jack Carson and Eve Arden, no picture.And by the way, music from the rock and roll era till now are seldom welcomed by me, but the songs in this film, other than the Geiger counter number, which certainly fits the scenario, are all grand.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm so glad to know you enjoy it as much as I do! I do agree, sometimes Cuddles' befuddled roles go a little too far. But the cast and music are tops, with a solid story and script.

Michael Curtiz biographer Alan Rode commented to me today that he believes this is one of the director's most underrated films and reminded me that Martin Scorsese has praised it. I'm shortly going to pull out Alan's book on Michael Curtiz and reread the chapter on this movie, now that it's fresh in my mind.

Best wishes,
Laura

8:32 PM  
Blogger barrylane said...

Alan has it right in my view. Look forward to your comment after reviewing his.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Hamlette (Rachel) said...

Although Doris Day is one of my favorite actresses, I've seen woefully few of her films. Adding this to the list of ones I should seek out!

11:16 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I hope you'll be able to see this one soon, Rachel. Would love to know your impressions.

Best wishes,
Laura

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older