Saturday, February 13, 2021

Tonight's Movie: Breezy (1973) - A Kino Lorber Blu-ray Review

In recent years I've become increasingly interested in the work of Clint Eastwood as both an actor and director.  I've enjoyed several of his films including EVERY WHICH WAY BUT LOOSE (1978), ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ (1979), BRONCO BILLY (1980), and SULLY (2016).

Today I watched BREEZY (1973), one of the first feature films directed by Eastwood, following PLAY MISTY FOR ME (1971) and HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER (1973).  It's available on Blu-ray from Kino Lorber.

I initially had to get past the ultra-syrupy '70s Legrand-Bergman title music, a Muzak style which I find unlistenable -- I'm not kidding, I turned the sound off during the credits -- but once I got past that, I discovered a rather interesting film.

Breezy (Kay Lenz) is a young girl who by today's standards we'd probably call "homeless," but in the '70s she was considered a hippie, who makes it through the days hitchhiking, sleeping on couches or porches, and bumming meals off whoever she happens to meet.  She's had jobs but is not currently self-supporting.

Breezy happens to meet Frank (William Holden), a divorced realtor roughly three decades older, when she flees from an unpleasant hitchhiking experience and lands in his neighborhood.  Breezy is intrigued by him and ensures that they keep running into each other, and against his better judgment Frank finds himself enjoying her company; Breezy is relentlessly positive, while she says he often has a "black cloud" following him around.

Frank and Breezy grow close and enjoy some idyllic time together, but before long his awkward feelings about a romance with someone her age catch up with him, especially after they run into some of his friends.  Frank and Breezy part ways, only for Frank to quickly reconsider what's really important after a close friend has a serious accident.

This was an interesting character study thanks to the lead performances.  Though I don't generally have trouble with "May-December" romances, for instance LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON (1957), I did feel that Breezy was really young, and Frank's discomfort seemed appropriate.  

That said, she was unique, if not entirely admirable (i.e., the whole lack of a job thing), and Holden's performance was so good that I was curious to find out what would happen next.  (It's also of note that while Holden's face had become prematurely craggy, he was still in very good physical shape, even jumping over a tennis net.)  One really wonders if a long-term relationship is in the cards for the couple, but as Frank says, "Maybe we'll last a year," to which the unusual Breezy joyously responds, "Just think of it, a whole year!"

My overall feelings were mixed; like Frank and Breezy's relationship, the movie was somewhat uncomfortable, yet I found it worthwhile and feel as though it's going to stick in the memory for a while.  I felt it was thoughtfully done, directed and performed with sensitivity.  (That said, I could have done without a couple topless scenes which earned the film an "R" rating.)  

What I enjoyed the most was the way the film captures the '70s L.A. of my childhood in a bottle, from shaggy hippies and peace symbols to boat-like cars, canyon homes, and the Yamashiro restaurant, which opened in the early '60s and still exists today.  The final scene was filmed in Plummer Park in West Hollywood.

BREEZY was written by Jo Heims and filmed by Frank Stanley.  It runs 106 minutes.  The supporting cast includes Marj Dusay, Roger C. Carmel, Joan Hotchkis, Shelley Morrison, and Lynn Borden.  The actor playing the veterinarian was William Holden and Brenda Marshall's son Scott.

Kino Lorber's good-looking Blu-ray includes a commentary track by Howard S. Berger and C. Courtney Joyner; the trailer; and a gallery of half a dozen additional trailers for other films available from Kino Lorber.

Thanks to Kino Lorber for providing a review copy of this Blu-ray.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jerry Entract said...

I was closely following Clint Eastwood's early directorial work as I knew him so well from "RAWHIDE" on TV so when "BREEZY" was released in 1973 I went to see it. I already liked Holden as an actor and really enjoyed the film (I was 25 and probably enjoyed the topless scenes too LOL). After also enjoying Eastwood's work on "Play Misty For Me" I felt he was going to make a success as a director and over the ensuing years he certainly proved that to be so.

12:45 AM  
Blogger dfordoom said...

I was very impressed by PLAY MISTY FOR ME when I first saw it aeons ago and rewatching it a few years back I was pleasantly surprised that it still stood up so well. In some ways it's like an American giallo.

I liked HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER as well, although it's definitely not a movie for everyone. And it's another Eastwood movie with a very strong Italian influence.

As for BREEZY, I'm not sure it sounds like my cup of tea but if I come across a reasonably priced copy I might be tempted.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Jerry, I enjoyed hearing your memories of seeing the movie when it came out. I'm enjoying belatedly catching up with some of Eastwood's work!

DforDoom, thank you as well for sharing your thoughts on Eastwood's other early films, which I've not yet seen. I hope you find BREEZY interesting if you check it out.

Best wishes,
Laura

9:37 AM  
Blogger Walter S. said...

Laura, you gave this early Clint Eastwood directorial effort, an even handed review, which I enjoyed reading. I haven't seen BREEZY(filmed 1972, released 1973) in forty-four years(saw it on TV). Like you, I recall that I had mixed feelings about the movie, but I liked Kay Lenz and William Holden. Holden is a favorite actor of mine and I liked Kay Lenz in the TV Mini-Series RICH MAN, POOR MAN(1976) and the follow up TV Series RICH MAN, POOR MAN-BOOK II(1976-77). Food for thought, William Holden was thirty-five years older than Kay Lenz. Clint Eastwood was thirty-five years older than Dina Ruiz when they married in 1996.

Jerry, looks you and I both were closely following Clint Eastwood's directorial efforts at that early date(early 1970's). If my memory serves me right, I recall when BREEZY came out, but I didn't see it in a theater. I first viewed it on the NBC SATURDAY NIGHT AT THE MOVIES in 1977 and I haven't seen it since. I remember liking PLAY MISTY FOR ME(filmed 1970, released 1971) much more. THE EIGER SANCTION(filmed 1974, released 1975) first aired on the NBC SATURDAY NIGHT AT THE MOVIES a month after BREEZY, and I liked THE EIGER SANCTION much more.

Dfordoom, I agree with you about PLAY MISTY FOR ME holding up well. Also, I liked your using the term "American Giallo" describing the movie.

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw BREEZY twice on TV. It was in the mid to late 80s. I am a big fan of WILLIAM HOLDEN. I really like him in SUNSET BLVD and PICNIC. I also like KAY LENZ going back to 1979(when I was a teenager). I saw the TV-Movie THE SEEDING OF SARAH BURNS. It was on CBS. You may already know that Kay was once married to DAVID CASSIDY. By the way, I have never seen PLAY MISTY FOR ME but I am a fan of both actresses in the movie. JESSICA WALTER and DONNA MILLS. Donna is best known for KNOTS LANDING as the wicked(if that's the right word) ABBY CUNNINGHAM EWING. I saw Jessica on TRAPPER JOHN, MD as the ex-wife MELANIE. Donna has been in a lot of TV-Movies. CLASSIC TV FAN

10:29 AM  
Blogger john k said...

I too like the term "American Giallo" I wish that I had thought of that I might add.
Recently I watched Kino's beautiful restoration of PLAY MISTY FOR ME and during lockdown in this drab English winter the beautiful California coastal locations were a real tonic,in fact apart from the thriller aspects the film also serves as a "Tone Poem" to the amazing vistas of the California coast. Jessica Walter was so horrid to sweet Donna Mills during this movie but I was pleased to hear that they bonded offscreen and became good friends. "Misty" has I understand become a Feminist classic especially with Eastwood's performance as the imperiled male a role he also took in Siegel's THE BEGUILED. Funnily enough on my most recent viewing I was far more sympathetic to Jessica Walter's character her performance was amazing. John Cassavetes said the only thing missing from the movie was Hitchcock's name on the credits.I did catch BREEZY when it was first releasesd and really enjoyed it I also noted Eastwood's "Hitchcock" type cameo. THE EIGER SANCTION is a fun movie with stunning location work and nerve shredding climing scenes. My choice for Eastwood's most underrated film is WHITE HUNTER BLACK HEART an excellent film that sadly failed to find an audience.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Walter, Classic TV Fan, and John, thank you all so much for your interesting comments. Among other things, thanks to you all for jogging my memory on Kay Lenz, who was in several things when I was a kid but I'd kind of forgotten about her, including her marriage to David Cassidy.

Walter, that is a fascinating point about the real-life age gap between Clint and Dina Ruiz and how it compares to the couple in the movie. I was also interested that you shared my mixed feelings on BREEZY.

Based on everything all of you say, I probably need to put PLAY MISTY FOR ME on my "watch" list! John, I love what you say about its locations. THE EIGER SANCTION sounds interesting as well.

Thanks to you all!

Best wishes,
Laura

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this film much more this time, than when it originally came out. I was the same age as Lenz's character back then and found it hard to believe she would be remotely attracted to him, both physically and emotionally. Both leads did a stellar job portraying their characters, especially liked Holden's subdued performance. I understand he, being from a different (more uptight) generation was very uncomfortable with the nudity during filming. Interestingly, knowing this makes it much more palatable, less creepy. What worked was the fact that Frank (Holden) was not the aggressor, rather Breezy (Lenz) was pursuing the relationship.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Anonymous. I agree, Breezy's pursuit of Frank makes it somewhat less awkward. I wish the film had been a little more tasteful in presenting the story as I would have liked it better, but it was an interesting watch.

Best wishes,
Laura

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older