Saturday, February 06, 2021

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...Last week I led off with the exciting news that Kino Lorber Studio Classics would be bringing the not-on-DVD Universal Pictures film THE WEB (1947) to Blu-ray.  This week there's more great news about another not-on-DVD film scheduled to be released on Blu-ray by Kino Lorber, this time from Paramount Pictures: ARISE, MY LOVE (1940), starring Claudette Colbert and Ray Milland.  I reviewed it in 2010 thanks to a showing on Turner Classic Movies.  There's no release date yet, but it's "coming soon."  Also announced just today: A forthcoming Blu-ray of DeMille's UNION PACIFIC (1939).

...But wait, there's even more good news!  THE DELICIOUS LITTLE DEVIL (1919), a delightful silent romantic comedy starring Mae Murray and Rudolph Valentino which I was lucky to see at the 2019 Cinecon Festival, will be released by Kino Lorber on April 6th.  And one week later, Kino Lorber will release two silent films directed by Lois Weber.

...From the Los Angeles Times: A driving tour of '70s L.A. architecture.

...Coming to Blu-ray from the Warner Archive Collection in March: THE GREAT CARUSO (1951) and CROSSFIRE (1947).  While I reviewed CROSSFIRE here back in 2007, I've never seen THE GREAT CARUSO, despite my love for MGM musicals in general and Ann Blyth in particular.  I anticipate reviewing both Blu-rays here in a few weeks.

...ABC has ordered a TV pilot written by Kevin Costner called NATIONAL PARKS.

...New reviews at CineSavant/Trailers from Hell: Glenn Erickson reviews Budd Boetticher's WINGS OF THE HAWK(1953), a Kino Lorber release I'll be reviewing here, while Glenn's colleague Charlie Largent reviewed Tex Avery Screwball Classics Vol. 2.

...Warren Hull was the leading man in a film I recently enjoyed, HER HUSBAND'S SECRETARY (1937).  I learned a little more about Hull thanks to reader comments here on that film, and thanks to reader Maricatrin for steering me towards this Hull profile at The Files of Jerry Blake.  I learned a lot, and now I'm curious to see the serial THE SPIDER'S WEB (1938).

...In December I shared the good news that Lillian Michelson's Cinema Research Library would be digitally preserved by the Internet Archive.  Here's more on that story thanks to an article which ran a few days ago in the Los Angeles Times.

...My friend Chris Yogerst has recently reviewed Scott Eyman's interesting new Cary Grant bio for the Los Angeles Review of Books.  I'm a little behind my anticipated schedule on completing that review but one should be forthcoming here before too long!

...Caftan Woman's "One for February on TCM" pick is MOONRISE (1948), which airs next week on February 10th. For more info, I reviewed it thanks to a UCLA screening in 2013. Dane Clark and Gail Russell (seen here) star, and there's a wonderful performance by Allyn Joslyn; Frank Borzage directed.

...At Once Upon a Screen Aurora shares a wonderful centennial tribute to Lana Turner, including links of her radio performances.  I plan to have a centennial post here on Turner's February 8th birthday.

...From Nerdist: What it was like when STAR WARS (1977) was first released.  It really is hard to explain to those who weren't there just what a thunderbolt it was.

...Notable Passings: Hal Holbrook has passed away at the age of 95.  He was particularly known for playing Mark Twain on stage for decades.  The performance I remember best from his long career was the Stage Manager in an exceptional TV production of OUR TOWN (1977), seen here with costars Glynnis O'Connor and Robby Benson.  Holbrook's wife, actress Dixie Carter, passed away in 2010...Allan Burns, who cocreated THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW (1970-77) and many other programs -- including the infamous MY MOTHER THE CAR (1965-66) -- has died at 85...Pat and Eloise O'Brien's oldest daughter, Margaret Mavourneen O'Brien, has died at the age of 86.  I shared her sister Brigid's obituary here in 2016.  They certainly led interesting lives.

...More Notable Passings: Haya Harareet, the leading lady of BEN-HUR (1959), has passed on at 89...Another big name in TV production, producer Cy Chermak, has died at 91. His shows included IRONSIDE (1968-1974) and CHiPs (1978-83)...Former TV executive Jamie Tarses, who was president of ABC from 1996-99, has passed away at 56...Football player turned Tarzan actor Mike Henry has died at 84.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my January 30th roundup.

4 Comments:

Blogger Caftan Woman said...

The many passings lately provide some comfort in that these creative people lived long and productive lives.

Thanks for the shout-out and the opportunity to reread your wonderful review of Moonrise after these years. Between the two of us, and the fortuitous primetime screening, TCM should have a ratings winner on their hands.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

You're very welcome, I enjoyed revisiting the film via your review. It's wonderful that after so many years of neglect MOONRISE is finding new audiences via both TCM and Criterion.

When filmmakers leave us, I am always reminded how wonderful it is that their work lives on for us to continue enjoying...

Best wishes,
Laura

5:20 PM  
Blogger Walter S. said...

Laura, Paddy Lee(Caftan Woman) makes a good point about the passing away of these creative people of late. They lived long and productive lives and as you remind us, we can continue to enjoy the product of their gifted work.

I fondly remember the first time I enjoyed Hal Holbrook as Mark Twain. It was the television premiere of MARK TWAIN TONIGHT! on CBS-TV March 6, 1967. Personally, this original airing of the genius of Mark Twain presented masterfully by Holbrook had a lasting effect on me. Until that Monday night, my knowledge of Mark Twain was chiefly through adolescent viewings and pre-primer readings of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. I trace my life long interest in Mark Twain to watching this television show. I have been hooked ever since, and I credit Hal Holbrook with that beginning.

HAL HOLBROOK R.I.P.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Walter! Thank you so much for sharing your remembrance of Hal Holbrook and his Mark Twain program. We recently discussed "Read more about it" following my review of WAKE ISLAND, and it sure sounds like MARK TWAIN TONIGHT! had a similar effect, launching you into exploring a wider interest. That's great!

Best wishes,
Laura

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older