Saturday, February 20, 2021

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...Kino Lorber has had some terrific announcements in recent weeks of "never on DVD" titles coming to Blu-ray via their Studio Classics line. The most recent good news is regarding an upcoming release of ALIAS NICK BEAL (1949), a terrific film starring Ray Milland, Audrey Totter, and Thomas Mitchell. I reviewed the movie when it was screened at the 2014 Noir City Hollywood Film Festival. Kino Lorber says it's "coming soon," from a 2017 4K scan.

...Also coming soon from Kino Lorber: SHAKE HANDS WITH THE DEVIL (1959) starring James Cagney, and nine Mae West films, all for the first time on Blu-ray. The West films are coming June 29th; a date has not yet been announced for SHAKE HANDS WITH THE DEVIL.

...In the Warner Archive's latest newsletter there was an announcement (seen here) indicating that the WBShop, currently managed by the Araca Group, will be ceasing business in a few weeks. A "4 for $44" sale will take place the weekend of March 12th. The news caused some concern that the Warner Archive may be coming to an end, but Susan King, who formerly covered classic films for the Los Angeles Times, was told by the Warner Archive's publicist that the line will be continuing and the recently laid off George Feltenstein will be a consultant. Glenn Erickson confirms the consultant information in his latest CineSavant column.

...This week, incidentally, Glenn Erickson reviews the Warner Archive's new Blu-ray release of SAN FRANCISCO (1936). Look for a review of that Blu-ray here at a future date. (Update: Here is my review!)

...Coming to DVD in the Critics' Choice Collection in March: A Glenn Ford Western Triple Feature with THE MAN FROM COLORADO (1948), A TIME FOR KILLING (1967), and the not-on-DVD LUST FOR GOLD (1949), costarring Ida Lupino. (February 22nd Update: Thanks to a kind reader for letting me know LUST FOR GOLD was released on DVD by Sony in 2005. I hadn't found a link previously but it popped right up when I searched Amazon today.) Also coming from Critics' Choice in March: A Boston Blackie Triple Feature. I now have several of the Critics' Choice multifilm collections, including a nine-film Buck Jones set and a just-ordered Bill Elliott Triple Feature. I recommend checking out the sets at the Critics' Choice site.

...A new release from VCI Entertainment's Cliffhanger Collection: WILD WEST DAYS (1937), a serial starring Johnny Mack Brown, on Blu-ray and DVD.

...At Classic Film Observations & Obsessions Jocelyn has written about the silent Western epic THE COVERED WAGON (1923), which I reviewed here almost exactly three years ago. The review is part of Jocelyn's 2021 blog series "50 Years of Film in 50 Weeks."

...Here are a couple recent Bing Crosby CDs I'm hoping to pick up soon: Philco Radio Time, which came out last March, and Chesterfield Radio Time, which was a December 2020 release.

...A pair of Western-themed cookbooks I've recently added to my collection are the 1995 ALL-AMERICAN COWBOY COOKBOOK: HOME COOKING ON THE RANGE, which has recipes contributed by many cowboy stars, and THE OFFICIAL JOHN WAYNE FAMILY COOKBOOK. Last weekend I made "Jim McLain's Big Beef Brisket" from the latter cookbook, and it was excellent!

...Another interesting column this week at Jeff Arnold's West: "The Westerns of Gordon Douglas." I'm so glad Jeff began blogging again! FORT DOBBS (1958), in which Douglas directed Clint Walker and Virginia Mayo, is a personal favorite.

...Rachel celebrates one of my favorite actors, Alan Ladd, at her blog Hamlette's Soliloquy.

...The Classic Movie Hub site which hosts my monthly Western RoundUp column has recently begun hosting a monthly "watch party." Each month a film is shown on the Best Classics Ever channel on YouTube with a live intro and closing by Classic Movie Hub contributors, as well as live chat in the comments during the course of the film. After the live presentation, the movies can later be seen, including the introductions, on YouTube. Last night was TOO LATE FOR TEARS (1949) and the month before was ROAD TO BALI (1953). Next month I'm scheduled to join the conversation for a showing of one of my favorite films, ANGEL AND THE BADMAN (1947).

...Benedict Cumberbatch is scheduled to star in a "limited series" remake of Hitchcock's THE 39 STEPS (1935).

...New merchandise for classic film fans, including T-shirts and mugs, is available from the American Cinematheque...and check out Kate Gabrielle's great designs at her Threadless shop. I especially love the John B. Merlin & Son Toy Department shirt inspired by BACHELOR MOTHER (1939).

...At It's a Wonderful Movie, Net shares a dozen of her favorite winter-themed Hallmark and Lifetime TV-movies.

...If you're not watching WANDAVISION (2021) on Disney+, you're missing an amazingly layered and creative series in which an ongoing mystery unfolds each week while paying tribute to classic TV sitcoms, simultaneously incorporating deep Marvel history. I can already see that the show will need to be rewatched from the beginning once it's over, as everything will look quite different from a fully informed perspective.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my February 13th roundup.

12 Comments:

Blogger Seth said...

I thought of you when I saw the news about ALIAS NICK BEAL, as I'd seen your glowing review of it and so added it to my movie list under "yet-to-be released on disc" (now the only other film under that heading is NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES...). I intend to pick it up whenever it comes out, even though I've never seen it.

I had already marked my calendar for the last 4 for $44 sale when I saw it in the newsletter. Count me as one who has been worried about the Archives' fate, so thanks for those reassuring links.

Still haven't subscribed to Disney+, but when I do, I looks like I'll have a lot of catching up to do....

2:25 PM  
Blogger Caftan Woman said...

I had just settled on some of those DVDs for my birthday when you hit me with the Bing Crosby CDs. What's a girl to do?

2:53 PM  
Blogger CLM said...

I love The 39 Steps and have always meant to read some of the books about Hannay. I think you would enjoy the books by Buchan's sister, O. Douglas, when you have time!

3:33 PM  
Blogger dfordoom said...

Alias Nick Beal is a movie I've wanted to see for aeons.

I'm dismayed by the idea of a remake of The 39 Steps. I'm sure it will be awful.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you all so much for your comements!

Seth and DforDoom, I really hope you enjoy ALIAS NICK BEAL. Such a great movie. And Seth, I keep hoping NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES will make the Criterion list like MOONRISE did list year...it's an underrated gem and seems perfect for that line. Or at least Kino Lorber!

Definitely some great stuff on Disney+...even if you don't want to sign up long term, you may want to pick out a couple months when you're likely to have plenty of time to power watch your way through things like WANDAVISION, THE MANDALORIAN, and THE IMAGINEERING STORY.

Caftan Woman, a lot of great movie and music choices, aren't there?!

CLM, thank you so much for those book recommendations! Always appreciated. I didn't know about Buchan having a sister who wrote, how interesting!

Best wishes,
Laura

9:40 PM  
Blogger Rick said...

I wouldn't get too "dismayed" by a remake of THE 39 STEPS. It's already been re-made three times. In 1959 with Kenneth More, in 1978 with Robert Powell, and in 2010 or thereabouts on the BBC with somebody whose name I can't remember.

Hitchcock's classic has survived all these, I'm sure it's in no danger.

Besides...this one might even be good.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Vienna said...

Thanks for news of new Bill Elliott triple bill.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Hamlette (Rachel) said...

Thanks for the shout-out! <3

12:05 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Rick! I so often have mixed feelings about remakes. It can be a lot of fun to see different takes on the same story (I have half a dozen versions of LITTLE WOMEN...) and sometimes I just wish filmmakers would try something new and original. We'll see how this goes!

Vienna, happy I could share that DVD news!

Rachel, you're so welcome! Lots of good Alan Ladd pics and reading at your site!

Best wishes,
Laura

7:42 PM  
Blogger Net - "It's a Wonderful Movie" said...

Thank you, Laura, for sharing my post among this wonderful list of movies! You're the best! It's always great fun to hear about the classics; all the movies we have today are because of them and the great entertainment industry they created.

Along the lines of my snow favorite movies, I'm sure there are plenty of old movies that have excellent snow scenes, too... like Meet Me in St. Louis, sledding and building snowmen... and Christmas in Connecticut, when they go on the sleigh ride and the snow from the roof falls on them in a great big pile! Those two instantly came to my mind, but I'm sure with your extensive knowledge of old movies - you know many more!

Again, thank you for including me! :)

Blessings on your day, Net

8:08 AM  
Anonymous John Hall said...

The VCI Blu-ray of WILD WEST DAYS is fantastic. They've been on a roll lately. The Blu's of the RIDERS OF DEATH VALLEY and GANG BUSTERS serials are equally great.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Net, I'm happy to share and hopefully help point readers toward your site, which I enjoy so much. I love your thoughts on favorite snow scenes, those are wonderful. I always think of the last scene of WHITE CHRISTMAS when they open the doors to reveal the falling snow.

John, I just received the GANG BUSTERS serial recently and look forward to it, especially as I have a soft spot for Kent Taylor. I'm delighted to hear such good reports on those Western VCI Blu-rays. I have VCI's DVD release of RIDERS OF DETAH VALLEY as part of one of their multi-film sets -- but, like so many other titles in my library, I haven't seen it yet!

Best wishes,
Laura

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older