Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Retailer Exclusive DVD Bonus Discs

I'm the world's biggest DVD fan, but I've recently become aware of a trend I don't care for at all: add-on "store exclusive" bonus discs available only if you buy a DVD from a particular retailer, such as Best Buy or Target. For instance, as one example, if you buy DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES at Target, you get a bonus disc with an extra episode. If you buy it at Wal-Mart, it comes with a different "extra." (This kind of thing has been done before with CDs, for instance I have a couple CDs purchased at Target which came with hidden "bonus tracks.")

I find this new practice most annoying...as I carefully make choices to expand my DVD library, I want to know for sure that the edition I'm buying is the most complete available. I usually pre-order from Amazon or Deep Discount DVD. How disconcerting it would be to later learn that a particular DVD sold at Target comes with more "extras" for the same price.

More information on this trend was posted today at TVShowsOnDVD.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older