Thursday, October 26, 2006

Patterico, The L.A. Times, and "That" Ford Ad

Patterico has devastating analysis of the L.A. Times' one-sided coverage of the Harold Ford ad controversy.

As an aside, the more complaints I hear that the Ford ad is "racist" -- tonight on TV it was Pat Caddell, who is on my short list of Democrat politicos I respect -- the more disturbed I become. The complaints either seem to come from political types who are bent on stirring up trouble any way they can, or political analysts of a "certain age" who don't seem to understand that the world has changed.

The Washington establishment types look down their noses and automatically assume most voters are such racist "hicks" that they can be "baited" to vote a certain way by an allusion to interracial dating. That kind of implied slam doesn't say a whole lot for those who would make that argument.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

This hearkens back to a debate I just had on my blog. By giving credence to racists, I believe we perpetuate racism.

By saying, "The Democrats shouldn't back Obama bacause it will only spark a racists controversy" is, in a way, giving way to racism. Likewise, people who say that so-and-so is simply trying to appeal to his racist base does the same.

I haven't seen the ad, though, so don't have an opinion.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

"By giving credence to racists, I believe we perpetuate racism."

True. I have thought this week that those making this an issue are contributing to a poisonous atmosphere, by even acknowledging anyone could look askance at an interracial date.

Laura

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older