Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Tonight's Dinner: Beef Bourguignon

I haven't done a cooking post in a while, and tonight we had an excellent meal from a crockpot recipe I came across on the web. The recipe is linked above.

I modified the recipe somewhat; I used 2 pounds of beef instead of 3, and I thought an entire pound of bacon was overkill and cut that amount in half. Conversely, I doubled the amount of carrots.

The meal requires a bit of effort at the stove, prior to loading up the crockpot, but it was well worth it.

With the bacon in the recipe, this is a meal you'll probably want to save as an occasional treat rather than as a staple of your diet (grin), but it made a very nice change of pace. The stew had great flavor and was extremely tender.

Along with the stew I tried Nigella Lawson's sticky garlic potatoes from her book FEAST. Heavenly!

FEAST has to be one of the most beautiful cookbooks ever published. The photographs are remarkable, and Lawson's droll writing style is most enjoyable. I've been meaning to try making a cake from her "Chocolate Cake Hall of Fame" forever...hopefully I'll get to it by year's end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older