Sunday, July 15, 2007

Independence: "Scorched, But Still Standing"

Last weekend I wrote about the wildfire which closed California's Highway 395 and threatened the towns of Independence and Big Pine.

I'm glad to say that Independence came through the fire with minor damage. As I haven't found any stories to the contrary, I assume Big Pine also didn't have any major losses resulting from the fire.

I was particularly relieved that the Eastern California Museum in Independence did not sustain damage. We've visited the museum in the past and found it very interesting. It contains Indian artifacts, items from the Manzanar WWII internment camp, and a variety of old mining and farming tools.

Another historic site in Independence is the home of writer Mary Austin.

Very good news indeed that these buildings and most of the town survived the fire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older