Thursday, February 14, 2008

Writer Phyllis A. Whitney Dies, 104

Author Phyllis A. Whitney has passed away at the age of 104.

Whitney's primary genres were gothic fiction and romantic suspense. Although most of her titles were not the type of reading I like best, I was very fond of one of her historical novels, STEP TO THE MUSIC. STEP TO THE MUSIC had a Civil War setting and was written for the "Young Adult" market; I believe I first discovered it in my junior high school library. Years later, when I happened across it in a used bookstore, I bought my own copy.

More from The New York Times.

2 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

First of all, I've never heard of this author. Wow, 104. Secondly, my daughter does Civil War Reenacting and so this novel may be something she would be interested in.

Speaking of reenacting, this Saturday and Sunday there will be a Civil War encampment at Knotts Berry Farm. It will be across the street (East Side) so there is no admission, just parking fee. It will be living history, no battles. She is excited to attend this one as work usually keeps her from participating in most of them.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for letting us know about the reenactment!

Have a great long weekend,
Laura

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older