Monday, September 15, 2008

Coming to DVD: Sleeping Beauty (1959)

My favorite animated Disney movie, SLEEPING BEAUTY, will be released in a Platinum Edition this coming October 7, 2008.

Five years ago Disney released a lovely Special Edition of the film, but although some of the extras -- such as the Oscar-winning short GRAND CANYON (1958) -- are the same on the new DVD, there are wonderful new extras in the Platinum Edition, so I will happily be "double dipping" and buying a new copy.

DVD Times details the extras. One of the most exciting new features is a "virtual walk-through" of Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty Castle; the walk-through includes an optional commentary track.

As reported here in July, the actual Castle, which has been closed for the past seven years, is being restored. It's expected to reopen around Veterans Day 2008.

Another exciting DVD extra is an "alternate opening." The recreation of this musical number sounds like a wonderful piece of Disney and cinema history which has now been preserved on DVD.

An all-new documentary will also be part of the set.

SLEEPING BEAUTY has been playing at the El Capitan in Hollywood; I wish I'd had the time to make the trip! Here's a report from Ultimate Disney on a screening of the film with some special guests, including Mary Costa, the voice of Sleeping Beauty.

3 Comments:

Blogger J.C. Loophole said...

My favorites are Jungle Book and 101 Dalmations. I also like Sleeping Beauty alot. It's funny how these are some of my favorite Disney films, but they aren't considered by some "folks" (even Disney himself) to be his best.

6:41 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

I am SO looking forward to the castle walk through being open again :)

1:16 PM  
Blogger windycorner said...

Hi Laura,
thanks for the heads up. This and Cinderella are my favorites so I can't wait to see all the special features on the DVD. I just pre-ordered at Amazon!
Holley

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older