Monday, September 15, 2008

Power Line on Mel Torme

Scott Johnson had a nice birthday tribute to Mel Torme posted at Power Line this weekend.

Torme fans may or may not know that he was a great fan of "old movies." When revival theaters were popular in Los Angeles in the late '70s and early '80s, before the rise of cable and video, I saw him in the audience for a classic film on at least a couple occasions. The memories are foggy -- no Torme pun intended -- but I believe at least one of those times was at a Filmex screening in Century City. It was neat knowing he was in the audience enjoying a film at the same time. (Tuesday Update: My dad confirms my Filmex memory.)

My kids think of him as "the guy with the ukelele" because of his role in one of their favorite musicals, GOOD NEWS.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

Mel was on The Name's the Same the other night (ok,it was a 50 year old repeat). Boy, he looked like he just got out of high school! Whenever I think of him, I think of the TV show "Night Court!"

5:37 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'd forgotten about NIGHT COURT -- the Torme angle was the best thing about that show. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older