Monday, September 15, 2008

Power Line on Mel Torme

Scott Johnson had a nice birthday tribute to Mel Torme posted at Power Line this weekend.

Torme fans may or may not know that he was a great fan of "old movies." When revival theaters were popular in Los Angeles in the late '70s and early '80s, before the rise of cable and video, I saw him in the audience for a classic film on at least a couple occasions. The memories are foggy -- no Torme pun intended -- but I believe at least one of those times was at a Filmex screening in Century City. It was neat knowing he was in the audience enjoying a film at the same time. (Tuesday Update: My dad confirms my Filmex memory.)

My kids think of him as "the guy with the ukelele" because of his role in one of their favorite musicals, GOOD NEWS.


Blogger Carrie said...

Mel was on The Name's the Same the other night (ok,it was a 50 year old repeat). Boy, he looked like he just got out of high school! Whenever I think of him, I think of the TV show "Night Court!"

5:37 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'd forgotten about NIGHT COURT -- the Torme angle was the best thing about that show. :)

Best wishes,

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older