Thursday, January 08, 2009

Notable Passings

...Cheryl Holdridge, one of Disney's Mousekeeters, has died of cancer at the age of 64. (Click the title of this post for her obituary; another can be found at MiceChat.)

Holdridge had guest and recurring roles on a number of other TV series, including THE ADVENTURES OF OZZIE AND HARRIET and LEAVE IT TO BEAVER. Although it's not listed in her IMDb credits, Wikipedia confirms my recollection that she was also one of the many Snow children in CAROUSEL (1956).

Holdridge had been widowed twice and had no immediate surviving family. Fellow Mouseketeers who were with Holdridge in the last hours of her life included Doreen Tracey and Tommy Cole.

...Olga San Juan, whose best-known film was BLUE SKIES (1946), costarring Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby, has passed away at the age of 81.

San Juan was married to actor Edmond O'Brien for nearly three decades. They divorced in 1976, but neither remarried.

...Father Richard Neuhaus, an influential theologian and conservative, has died at the age of 72. For many years Neuhaus was the religion editor at National Review.

Peter Wehner and John Podhoretz are among those who have written tributes.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

As someone who always enjoyed Cheryl as Julie Foster on Leave It to Beaver, and only recently watched the Disney serial Annette in which she had a very small role, I'm very sorry to learn of her passing. She sent me an autographed photo back in 2001 and I also enjoyed her guest spots in shows like Bewitched and Dick Van Dyke Show.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

Laura, the Father Neuhaus tributes at NRO were very compelling. And the quoted writings of him made me stop dead in my tracks and really consider them. They are powerful words worth taking the time to thoughtfully read.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Dana,

I've read some of his writing as well and found them quite beautiful and profound.

Best wishes,
Laura

12:50 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Grable,

How lovely Cheryl sent you a photo! I have the ANNETTE set but have not yet started it. I'm really looking forward to it, as I remember enjoying it when MICKEY MOUSE CLUB was shown in reruns on TV in the '70s.

Best wishes,
Laura

12:51 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

I am sorry to hear of Cheryl's passing. The original Mickey Mouse Club in the 1950's was a big part of my life and I remember her well. I'm happy to hear the former Mouseketeers are so close,like family.

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older