Wednesday, March 25, 2009

L.A. Landmarks Closing

There is word this week about the upcoming closure of two Los Angeles institutions, The Jazz Bakery and The Cook's Library.

The Jazz Bakery, located at the site of the former Helms Bakery, has lost its lease and hopes to reopen elsewhere after closing May 31st.

My husband and children have been to Christmas concerts at the Jazz Bakery on a couple occasions in recent years.

You can read more about the Helms Bakery District here. Do other Southern Californians remember the yellow Helms truck coming down the street every day? When I was little we used to save our nickels to buy candy and donuts when the truck came by.

The independent bookstore The Cook's Library closes April 30th.

You can read more details in an L.A. Times article (click title of this post).

Since I first learned of The Cook's Library a couple years ago, I've been meaning to drive up to L.A. and visit it, but alas, I waited too long, unless I want to take advantage of their closeout sale.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older