Tuesday, March 10, 2009

On DVD: And Baby Makes Six (1979) and Baby Comes Home (1980)

While I was doing a little Googling of tonight's movie title, AND BABY MAKES THREE (1949), I was amazed to discover that two favorite old TV-movies were released on DVD in 2007.

AND BABY MAKES SIX (1979) and BABY COMES HOME (1980) tell the story of a long-married couple (Colleen Dewhurst and Warren Oates) who are shocked to discover they are expecting a "change of life" baby. Their three children -- the youngest is 17 -- are also stunned, as are Dewhurst's mother (Mildred Dunnock) and best friend (Allyn Ann McLerie).

I immediately ordered both AND BABY MAKES SIX (click title of post) and BABY COMES HOME...only $5.98 apiece from Amazon. And that makes two more Beta tapes I'll be able to discard from my collection. (I've also got to dig out my old Beta tapes of EAST OF EDEN which was just released on DVD and was delivered today.) I wonder if there are any other old favorites released on DVD which have escaped my notice for months or years?

2 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

I saw "And Baby Makes Six" on TV when I was very little. It was my first introduction to Abortion.

5:11 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

What an interesting memory of it! Abortion was much less discussed when I was young than it is now, so I the story had an impact on me from that perspective -- being horrified that her daughter and other family members (San Francisco liberals, as I recall!) thought she should have an abortion.

Fortunately the film's message is ultimately prolife --

Best wishes,
Laura

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older