Monday, May 04, 2009

Disney Strips Extras From Rental DVDs

As reported here previously, Fox Studios seems to be backpedaling on its recent plan which would not allow DVDs of Fox films with extras to be available for rental or library use.

Fox has already abandoned the concept for libraries and is now rumored to be giving up on the idea altogether.

Enter Disney, which is launching its own version of DVDs made "for rental only."

However, unlike the Fox program, the stripped-down Disney DVDs will sell for a lower price than DVDs with extras, and rental companies will be free to choose which DVD version is purchased for rental to customers.

2 Comments:

Blogger mel said...

Perhaps what it all boils down to is that the man in the street, when wanting to hire a movie, is not interested in all the "guff" which may accompany it. He just wants to watch a movie.

The extras are mainly for us connoiseurs, who are in the minority.

9:29 PM  
Blogger J.C. Loophole said...

Funny you should mention this; just yesterday I was putting on our copy of Bolt on the computer for my 10 yr old and when the player did not kick in I went to start it manually. The file name for the disc was listed as "Bolt US Rental" - and indeed I had purchased the one disc version that only had the new animated short on it. I thought that this might be the case myself, but now you have confirmed it for me. I know that they have been doing things to push consumers to Blu-Ray, and I think this may be part of their overall marketing strategy. Again, the real expense isn't in two different DVD editions- it's in putting out DVD and Blu-Ray editions at the same time.

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older