Saturday, August 01, 2009

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from the Internet...

...Cook's Illustrated has another new title joining their library of publications on October 1st: MORE BEST RECIPES. Click the title of this post for the Amazon link; it can also be pre-ordered at the Cook's Illustrated site.

...Say it isn't so! Skype may have to shut down due to legal issues. We absolutely loved using Skype when our daughter was studying in London for several months earlier this year. We could not only speak to her, we could see her, for as long as we wanted -- at no cost!

...REBECCA as a Broadway musical? Playbill reports it's in the works.

...Out of the Past and the Classic Maiden both recently paid tribute to the wonderful Ricardo Montalban film noir MYSTERY STREET (1950). You can also catch Raquelle's guest blog post on the movie at Noir of the Week. A wonderful movie which I highly recommend.

...Moira shares at Skeins of Thought that Charles Tabesh, the Sr. VP of Programming at Turner Classic Movies, will be visiting the Silver Screen Oasis next week. Have questions for Mr. Tabesh? You can register at SSO to post them or let Moira know...and while you're at it, check out her blog's beautiful new look.

...Radio talk show host and conservative commentator Laura Ingraham has adopted a little boy from Russia, Michael Dimitri. Last year Laura adopted a daughter, Maria Caroline, from Guatemala.

...Last weekend the L.A. Times profiled Huell Howser, longtime host of the public TV series CALIFORNIA'S GOLD. I enjoy Huell's enthusiastic exploration of our state, and have saved a few episodes on tape, ranging from the Yosemite Firefall to See's Candy to Mono Lake to the Norconian Resort. KCET has launced an interesting website, Huell's Interactive L.A.

...Another L.A. institution, Vin Scully, has announced that, health permitting, he will be back to call Dodgers games for one final season. 2010 will be the 81-year-old Scully's 61st season with the team. The beloved Scully has been calling games since my dad was roughly my youngest son's age!

...The L.A. Times has been running a series reflecting on the Los Angeles Olympics of 1984. What a wonderful summer that was! I remember what a thrill it was to visit the Hollywood Bowl shortly after the Olympics ended and see John Williams conduct his Olympic Fanfare.

...One more L.A. story, which shows how radically the newspaper business is changing: starting in September, the L.A. Times will be delivering newspapers for one of its chief competitors, the Orange County Register. I know someone who delivers for the Register and hope she's not going to be out of a job.

...In last weekend's roundup I mentioned the recent Betsy-Tacy Convention. Publisher's Weekly has an article and photos on the visit to "Deep Valley" (aka Mankato, Minnesota) by PRINCESS DIARIES author Meg Cabot.

...Steyn on Saturday: Mark Steyn on health care and liberty.

...I recently mentioned the new single by Larry Gatlin and the Gatlin Bros. I was delighted to learn they have a new album, Pilgrimage, coming out September 15th. You can read more here and here. The Gatlins are amazing entertainers whose repertoire almost entirely consists of songs written solely by Larry. They're also darn nice to their fans; I've met them a couple of times in recent years.

...JULIE AND JULIA opens next weekend! Yesterday USA Today ran a fun interview with Meryl Streep, Amy Adams, and Nora Ephron. If you haven't seen the trailer yet, check it out here.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

3 Comments:

Blogger Raquel Stecher said...

Thank you so much for linking to my Mystery Street posts.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

You're very welcome, Raquelle! I enjoyed them.

I hope I have the opportunity to see Boston and Cambridge again myself before too long. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

4:31 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

Thanks for that link on the article about Huell Howser. I love his shows and I got to meet him once at the Farmers Market. Really nice man.

I'm so looking forward to Julie and Julia. I hope it lives up to the previews. and I love Amy Adams.

I have friends who are missionaries in Africa and use Skype to keep in touch with their family here. I know it would be sad for them to lose that.

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older