Wednesday, January 06, 2010

The State of the Classic DVD Market

Lou Lumenick of the New York Post takes a look at the current state of the classic DVD market.

Lou's post includes a schedule of the classic DVD releases expected in the first quarter of 2010.

He also links to two excellent articles on the same topic, a column by Dave Kehr of the New York Times, and an interview with George Feltenstein of Warner Home Video.

I thought Mr. Feltenstein seemed a little more straightforward in his assessment of the classic DVD market than came across in a November interview with Lumenick, in which he continued to assert that Warner has a "robust" release schedule. There are definitely good things ahead from Warner, but the current state of the market isn't what it was a year ago, and Feltenstein frankly addresses the issues in the industry. I admire Mr. Feltenstein very much, and it's good to know someone with such a passion for movies is working on our behalf.

On a bright note, there should be good things ahead from both the Warner Archive and the TCM Universal/Paramount on Demand program. And, very happily, Turner Classic Movies continues to be a great boon for classic film fans, as recent posts illustrate.

7 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

I can't find the link that you mention, the most recent Lou Lumenick article.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Tom!

You can find the article by clicking the title of my post. My post titles always link to articles or IMDb listings, rather than simply being a link back to my own post. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

11:31 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

Got it! Thanks.

11:35 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Sure!

When I started blogging a few years ago, I think it was much more common to use the post titles as links to outside websites, but not so many people seem to do it anymore...kind of interesting.

Best wishes,
Laura

11:38 PM  
Blogger Raquel Stecher said...

How do you do the link in your post title? I've never quite figured out how to do that.

Thanks for the information! I always rely on you for DVD news.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Raquelle!

In this blog format, at least, when you start a new post there is a blank line labeled "Link" right under the blank line for the "Title" of the post.

I wonder if some blog formats don't have that feature anymore and that's why people aren't using it? That would also help explain why some people don't know to click on the title for links, a query I've received a couple times in the past year.

Conversely, the Classic Maiden recently asked if I could turn on the "Older Posts" link at the bottom of the page to make it easier to get to older posts without going into the Archive links. I thought "Great idea, why haven't I done that before?!" since I've seen it at many other blogs. But my daughter and I have looked and looked and that doesn't seem to be a feature available with this blog format. (If anyone knows differently, I'd love to know!) Perhaps I'll upgrade my blog format at some point.

Best wishes,
Laura

8:42 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

I have the same question as Classic Maiden. (Would love to see a sidebar link, perhaps, that would bring me to all your Deanna Durbin posts, for example)

I never used your template, Laura, so I'm not sure about all the features. I know my template's default link for titles is the post itself.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older