Friday, August 20, 2010

Today at Disneyland: Blue Bayou

We headed out to Disneyland this afternoon for a special reason: a dinner reservation at the Blue Bayou.

It was another beautiful summer day on Main Street USA:


It's hard to believe, but before today I had never eaten at the Blue Bayou...


...which is located at 31 Royal Street...


...in New Orleans Square.


Right next door is the entrance to the private Club 33, which is located above the Blue Bayou. We've had some wonderful experiences at Club 33 over the years.


The unique atmosphere in the Blue Bayou is worth the (pricey) cost of the meal. It's a dark, candlelit restaurant, and the Pirates of the Caribbean boats glide by at the start of the ride.


The service was friendly, although the salads were a bit slow to be delivered, resulting in the main course arriving when we were only halfway through our salads.


The menu is expensive and fairly limited. We all had the salad and thought it was excellent; the other choice before the main course is gumbo. A bread basket with one style of plain roll accompanies the salad course.

The other members of my party were delighted with the 5-Pepper Roast New York Steak and the Tesoro Island Chicken.

I had the Buccaneer's Beef Short Ribs in a Zinfandel demi-glaze. Unfortunately, I found it quite bland and on the salty side, nor were the short ribs particularly tender. Edible but forgettable -- nothing special and nothing I'd ever order again.

The majority of the main courses come with "Blue Bayou Potatoes" and vegetables. Since I don't care for cheesy potatoes -- I've never understood the appeal of that combination (grin) -- the Blue Bayou Potatoes were a miss with me.


I understand the restaurant must keep the menu limited to help speed along the huge numbers of guests served each day, but given the pricing, an alternate side option such as rice or a different style of potato would have been most welcome.

Unlike most Disney restaurants, there are free refills of sodas at the Blue Bayou. Annual Passport holders receive a discount; my Premium pass took 15% off the bill.

The bottom line: I'd go to the Blue Bayou again based on the atmosphere and the enthusiasm of my fellow diners for their entrees, but the food fell short of my expectations, particularly given the high price. The meal didn't compare well with excellent meals I've enjoyed at other Disney restaurants in Anaheim and Florida, and needless to say, it doesn't come anywhere close to the food at the restaurant upstairs, Club 33...not that I really expected it to!

August 22nd Update: Welcome to readers of the Disney Dispatch!

6 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

A number of years ago my Mother and I would eat there on occasion (she passed away in '87 so you know how long ago it was). Then Jennifer and I ate there in the 90's and had a good meal and excellent service. A few years ago they changed the menu completely. None of the offerings nor the prices appeal to me now and I haven't eaten there since.

On a side note, one of my Disneyland/Facebook friends works there as a host and absolutely loves his job.

9:39 PM  
Blogger DKoren said...

I've always wanted to eat there, but have always turned away because of the prices. One of these days I still want to go, now more for the atmosphere than anything else, as the food does sound a bit disappointing, and cheesy potatoes are not something I would eat either.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for sharing your experience, Irene! You know, I've noticed a general decline in some Disney restaurants lately. For instance, we always liked the pizza at Redd Rockett's and Pizza Oom Mow Mow, and my kids don't want to order it anymore...they felt sick after the last time at POMM. The French Market's menu revision a couple years ago was so disappointing! I miss their fried chicken. These days we eat most at Bengal Barbecue...the price is right and it hasn't disappointed yet.

DKoren, I've always been turned off by the prices as well...it's just not a restaurant we would generally take our family of six (grin). (We do "live it up" at Disney World in FL restaurant wise, but save for it long in advance...) I was hoping since Blue Bayou shares a kitchen with Club 33 there would be an overlap in quality, but alas... Still worth doing once just to say you've done it, but I won't hurry back.

Best wishes,
Laura

8:27 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

PS For anyone in a "spendy" mood, I do highly recommend the character breakfast at the Storyteller Cafe in the Grand Californian...

Laura

8:27 PM  
Blogger paul said...

hey there, I remember going years ago and not liking the food much. then within the last 2 years hubby and I went and it was very good. I happen to love cheese and ...anything, especially potatoes. They even sent me the recipe when I requested it and I make it around here in the winter occasionally. I just had to write in defence of "Blue Bayou potatoes"Linda

8:11 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Linda! That's really neat they sent you the recipe. If cheese is your thing then the Blue Bayou potatoes are perfect! :)

Best wishes,
Laura

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older