Sunday, August 15, 2010

Coming to DVD: Me and Orson Welles (2008)

I've been watching for ME AND ORSON WELLES (2008) to make its (long overdue) debut on DVD, without being able to find out a thing about plans for a release.

I was thus quite surprised to page through this week's Target flyer today and come across an ad for the DVD being released this Tuesday, August 17th, "Only at Target." I found an article online confirming that, for now at least, the movie will only be sold at Target. The sole Amazon listing is for a copy by sale from a vendor.

Target's price is $12.99. The ad says there are 45 minutes of extras, including deleted scenes. The ad also has an asterisk noting "Quantities limited."

I don't really understand how it benefits a studio to limit a film's DVD release to one retailer...be that as it may, it looks like I'll be at Target Tuesday morning to get my copy!

Tuesday Update: I've now got my copy of the DVD, which has a sticker on it which says "ONLY AT TARGET."

Thanks to Missy for letting me know that Netflix says the film will be available for rental on September 14th. I had checked Sunday and nothing was listed at that time.

Netflix has a deal with Warner Bros., which released the DVD, not to rent films for the first 28 days after they go on sale. The 14th will be the 28th day after the release at Target. It will be interesting to see whether or not the film goes on sale at more retailers on September 14th.

3 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

I hadn't looked at the ads yet, so thanks for the heads up. That is very strange - not sure I've seen too much of that before. I'll be there shortly after opening myself :)

3:17 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

And by the way, even though Zac Efron is the "star" of the movie I think Christian McKay as Orson Wells clearly was "the star".

3:19 PM  
Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

The only advantage to a studio I can think of is dollars. I bet Target paid big bucks for this privilege. I'm sure you've thought of that too.

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older