Monday, August 09, 2010

Tonight's Movie: Jesse Stone: Death in Paradise (2006)

JESSE STONE: DEATH IN PARADISE is a terrific third entry in this series of TV-movies starring Tom Selleck.

DEATH IN PARADISE, which follows STONE COLD (2005) and NIGHT PASSAGE (2006), finds Chief Stone investigating the murder of a young girl whose body is found in a lake. Simultaneously the chief and his staff aid an abused wife.

The STONE series continues to be an absorbing portrait of a man battling his inner demons while trying to help others. Selleck is superb; he completely owns the role, just as he did the more lighthearted Magnum (a character who periodically revealed his own much more suppressed inner demons). The supporting cast is excellent, including returning regulars Viola Davis, Kohl Sudduth, Vito Rezza, Stephen McHattie, and John Beale, not to mention Joe the Dog, who returns as the loyal Reggie.

William Devane joins the series as Dr. Dix, a shrink Jesse visits about his drinking issues. He's terrific, and it's great knowing he returns in later films in the series.

Robert Harmon directs this film; he has directed all of the films in this series to date. The screenplay was cowritten by Tom Selleck, J.T. Allen, and Michael Brandman. Selleck also worked on the story or screenplay for two other films in the series.

JESSE STONE: DEATH IN PARADISE is available on DVD. The running time is 87 minutes.

I would venture to say that this series of TV-movies is more thoughtfully crafted and far more entertaining than a large percentage of the films currently being released in theaters. Highly recommended.

7 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

I totally agree. I got so hooked on these that I ordered them one right after the other at the library. Now I'm waiting for the most recent one to come out on DVD so that I can see it also. Even love the music :)

7:25 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

I agree, too. These have been a real pleasure to watch. Selleck fits the role like a glove. BTW, I saw a commercial for a new series he'll be in this fall. Something about a police dept. (I think). I'll give it a shot. He's really aged well and lends so much gravitas to his roles. Well, okay, and he's still really great to look at!

6:19 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

I see that the latest one "No Remorse" has been released but it's not listed at the library yet. I may have to break down and purchase it and then donate it to the library!

I wonder - if he is doing a new series, does that mean he's done with the Jesse Stone series? I sure hope not.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm glad to know you both enjoy them too!

Irene, here's a great interview with Tom Selleck where he says yes, there will definitely be more JESSE STONE movies even though he's doing a series. :) :) INNOCENTS LOST is "in the can" and No. 8 is being written. He says "...the one thing I said to CBS was, 'I'm not going to do this series at the expense of Jesse Stone.'"

He also talks about how they shoot the movies to look like a feature film. It's interesting that for the DVDs they do things like edit out the "fade to commercial break."

Best wishes,
Laura

8:17 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

Excellent. I'm so happy to know there will be more. Thanks for the link.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

I have never seen a movie in this series, but I guess have your reviews I will have to check them out!

6:54 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hope you'll enjoy it, Terri!

Best wishes,
Laura

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older