Thursday, December 02, 2010

Don't Miss This Blog Series

Regular readers of Another Old Movie Blog know what an excellent job Jacqueline Lynch does analyzing classic films in the context of their times.

Jacqueline's latest series, "War Stories," is about WWII "homefront" films. Movies from this era, such as SINCE YOU WENT AWAY (1944), which I watched on Thanksgiving, have long been a particular interest of mine.

Jacqueline's detailed post on MRS. MINIVER (1942) is simply outstanding. (Those who haven't yet seen the film may want to note that all major plot points are revealed as part of the analysis.) Her post brings back many of the emotions I felt when I first became acquainted with MRS. MINIVER at the age of 11 or 12.

The film had such an impact on me that I learned the "Wilcoxon Speech" for an English class project in which we were to recite a speech and give a brief introduction on the context. A year or two later I went on to write an entire research paper on homefront films.

Future posts at Another Old Movie Blog will focus on what is perhaps my favorite comedy, THE MORE THE MERRIER (1944), and LOVE LETTERS (1945), a romance starring Joseph Cotten and Jennifer Jones. George Stevens' THE MORE THE MERRIER, which stars Jean Arthur, Joel McCrea, and Charles Coburn, was just playing in my house when one of my children watched it last weekend. I've never seen LOVE LETTERS and look forward to it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

Laura, your generosity humbles me. Thank you so much for your kind comments on this series. I truly hope it won't disappoint.

I get a kick out of your using the Wilcoxon Speech for your class project. What a splendid idea. In the disco era of the 1970s, I was listening to Glenn Miller. I think we grew up in parallel worlds on opposite coasts.

And thank you for doing what I inevitably fail to do, and that is to warn people that I reveal too much about the movies I discuss on my blog. "Spoiler" is my middle name. It's on my birth certificate.

4:49 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

You're very welcome, Jacqueline, it's my pleasure to hopefully call attention to work I've enjoyed so much. :)

You know, to some extent when I was growing up I thought "I was the only one." Like you, my interests were definitely out of the mainstream in the '70s. (I was quite fortunate that I did have a couple special friends who liked to watch old movies with me!) I listened to Glenn Miller too -- still do. :)

It's such fun realizing that others were growing up enjoying the same things. No internet then -- today it's so much easier for people to connect and interact with those who share their interests.

Thanks for your note!

Best wishes,
Laura

8:50 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

Do you still have the research paper on the homefront films?

3:49 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Good question, Tom! I may still have it with a handful of other special projects I saved, but I can't think where it would be...I've been doing a lot of weeding out over the last few years.

Best wishes,
Laura

4:10 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

Laura, if you ever find this essay, I think it would make for a great post. I would be interested in reading it. My mother and both of my aunts lived through the home front years (they were young girls at the time).

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older