Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Margaret Whiting, 1924-2011

Singer Margaret Whiting has died at the age of 86.

Don Heckman of the Los Angeles Times has a good story on her career.

You can hear her famous duet of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" with Johnny Mercer, referenced in the obituary, on YouTube.

I particularly like her rendition of "Time After Time" (currently available on YouTube), which was part of the soundtrack of JULIE AND JULIA (2009). I bought that track from iTunes a few weeks ago, as well as her recordings of "Someone to Watch Over Me" and "If I Had You."

5 Comments:

Blogger Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

Her rendition of "Time After Time" is also one of my favorites.

6:21 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Grace Foley said...

I heard her for the first time around Christmas, when her duet of "Silver Bells" with Jimmy Wakely was on the radio. There are so many versions of that song, but I really liked their rendition. I recently bought some of her songs too - including "Someone To Watch Over Me."

7:49 AM  
Blogger la peregrina said...

Her duet with Johnny Mercer on "Baby It's Cold Outside" is definitely the quintessential version of that song. Rest In Peace, Ms. Whiting.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for the tip on "Silver Bells," Elisabeth. That's one of my favorite Christmas songs and I wasn't familiar with her version. Just bought it from iTunes.

Best wishes,
Laura

10:58 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

Thank you for posting this. Turns out there are lots of YouTube Margaret Whiting songs out there.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older