Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Quick Preview of TCM in May

It's only been 10 days since Turner Classic Movies announced the April schedule, so it was a very nice surprise today to discover that the May schedule has already been posted online!

Esther Williams is TCM's May Star of the Month. At least 21 Williams films are planned for May, including THE UNGUARDED MOMENT (1956), one of the very few Williams films I don't own and have never seen.

I'm also hoping that perhaps the short INFLATION (1942), in which she appeared with Edward Arnold, will make it onto the May schedule.

The other really big news, in my book, is that an evening of Joan Bennett films on May 11th will include TRADE WINDS (1938), which has been very high on my wish list of never-seen movies. TRADE WINDS costars Fredric March, Ann Sothern, and Ralph Bellamy.

Also showing that evening: SCARLET STREET (1945), which reunited director Fritz Lang with his WOMAN IN THE WINDOW cast, Bennett, Edward G. Robinson, and Dan Duryea.

Two other films airing in May I've been wanting to see: LYDIA (1941), starring Merle Oberon and Joseph Cotten, and HELL BELOW (1933), a submarine movie starring Robert Montgomery and Walter Huston.

I've been interested in LYDIA ever since reading about it years ago in Lawrence J. Quirk's THE GREAT ROMANTIC FILMS. LYDIA is scheduled for May 15th and HELL BELOW is on May 27th.

The very enjoyable SUNDAY IN NEW YORK (1963) will be on May 22nd. When I recorded it on a past TCM showing, it was shown in pan and scan. It's just been announced that Warner Archive has remastered this film for a new widescreen DVD release -- that one's going on my 2011 DVD wish list! -- so perhaps the May showing will also be in widescreen.

The May TCM schedule will also have mini-marathons celebrating horse racing, Miss Marple, Bing Crosby, Mary Astor, Katharine Hepburn, Western comedies, Maureen O'Sullivan, Virginia Mayo, and more.

I'll be sharing more thoughts on the May schedule closer to May 1st. Meanwhile, the March Star of the Month is Jean Harlow, and April will be a great month for fans of Ray Milland.

Update: TCM Star of the Month: Esther Williams.

June 2013 Update: Farewell to Esther Williams.

5 Comments:

Blogger monty said...

Yes! I just recently became a big Esther Williams fan and there are several of her films I have yet to see. I know what I will be doing come this May. Thanks Laura for posting such great news.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Happy to share the news, Monty! I love Esther, you've got a lot of movie viewing fun ahead of you. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

4:15 PM  
Blogger panavia999 said...

I love LYDIA! It's very French. And HELL BELOW should be fun - I love pre WW2 submarine movies. Although I wonder how Eugene Pallete can squeeze through a submarine.

5:21 PM  
Blogger DKoren said...

Why oh why do I torment myself by looking at the schedule when I don't get the station??? LOL!! They're playing "Boots Malone" which is a William Holden movie I haven't yet seen, not to mention all the Esther Williams movies I'd love to see, or the WWII movies at the end of the month.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Kevin Deany said...

Wow thanks for the heads up, Laura. "Trade Winds" should be great. I can't wait to see it. Also pleased to see "Red Light" with George Raft. Don't remember that one showing up anywhere before.

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older