Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Dick Van Dyke at the Egyptian Theatre

Well, I didn't get to see Dick Van Dyke perform at the Disney D23 Expo last month...but, as things have turned out, I'll be able to see him in person next month!

Our family just got tickets to a 50th anniversary celebration of THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, to be held at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood on October 1st.

Carl Reiner will also be present, and Garry Marshall will be on hand to moderate a discussion with Van Dyke and Reiner.

Three episodes of the show will be shown, and there will also be a book signing of THE OFFICIAL DICK VAN DYKE SHOW BOOK by Vince Waldron.

THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW is one of my earliest TV memories. I'm not certain if I first saw it near the very end of the show's run or in reruns, but when I was very little it made a big impression on me that Mary Tyler Moore's character shared my name. :)

We own the entire series on DVD, and my children have all grown up watching it too. I just wish our son who's away at college could be there; when he was younger he watched every single episode and thought it was about the funniest thing he'd ever seen.

It should be a great evening!

5 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

Oh! One of my all time favorite shows too! I'd love to go! I'll camp on your couch. ;-)

Missy http://www.missyisms.com

9:31 PM  
Blogger Caftan Woman said...

It's not "The Dick Van Dyke Show". We always called it "Rob", as in "Is "Rob" on today?", "Are we watching "Rob"?", "No, they can't stop showing "Rob"!!"

It sounds like you're in for a marvelous time.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Audrey said...

I'm envious! What an amazing event. The DVD Show is probably my all-time favorite show. I can't wait to hear all about how this goes. :) Have fun!

8:59 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

This comment is from Robby at Dear Old Hollywood; I accentally hit the wrong button when moderating comments on my iPhone! I retrieved the comment from an email notification. Thanks Robby!

"Sounds like it will be a great night! When I was younger I wasn't all that interested in the Dick Van Dyke Show - I was more into Bewitched, Jeannie, The Munsters - but when I started watching the show as an adult, especially after getting married, I found the show hilarious. So much of the husband/wife issues remind me of my wife and I, so the humor still holds up."

1:39 PM  
Blogger SimpleGifts said...

Hi, Laura - Dick Van Dyke is a genuinely nice man. For over a decade, he has emceed the annual fundraiser concert for the music programs in our county's schools. Choral groups from the local schools perform and we attended the year our daughter's chorus appeared. Van Dyke was a delight -- the students and audience were thrilled. What a treat for your family to see him at the anniversary program -- enjoy! Jane

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2010/apr/29/visit-by-van-dyke-delights-chorus/

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older