Sunday, January 08, 2012

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...Season 2 of DOWNTON ABBEY starts tonight! Here's a nice story from the Los Angeles Times.

...I really enjoyed Dave Kehr's New York Times review of MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS (1944). It's one of my favorite films, but I have to say I've never thought about Minnelli's color choices for each season. I'll be paying particular attention to that next time I see it. I was scanning through related comments at Dave's blog when I happened across a mention of my own humble blog, in conjunction with a discussion of MARGIE (1946) and the terrific comments shared here by Blake Lucas.

...The Lady Eve's Reel Life has a terrific month-long series on VERTIGO (1958), which I just saw for the first time New Year's weekend. I especially enjoyed today's post on Kim Novak's costumes. Don't miss this series.

...My father came across this very interesting 2011 story about Ernie's Restaurant, seen in VERTIGO.

...Jacqueline spent the first week of the year in Las Vegas, at least figuratively! I enjoyed her posts on THE LAS VEGAS STORY (1952) with Victor Mature, Jane Russell, and Vincent Price, and MEET ME IN LAS VEGAS (1956) starring Cyd Charisse and Dan Dailey.

...LUST FOR GOLD (1949), starring Glenn Ford and Ida Lupino, sounds quite interesting. You can read more about it at Kevin's Movie Corner.

...Barnes and Noble is considering selling off its Nook reader business?

...Actress Anne Hathaway says her performance as Catwoman in the upcoming Batman film THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (2012) was inspired by Hedy Lamarr. (Via KC at Classic Movies.)

...Warner Bros. plans to double the window in which new films will be made available to Netflix, from 28 to 56 days. Warner Bros. says that the 26-day window has increased sales of new DVDs at stores such as Best Buy.

...The Movie Projector reviews the excellent William Wellman Western YELLOW SKY (1948), which stars Gregory Peck, Richard Widmark, and Anne Baxter.

...The next new thing from Roku: the streaming stick.

...Clara of Via Margutta 51 and the Siren posted very enjoyable lists of the classic films they enjoyed watching last year. I was glad to see Deanna Durbin's LADY ON A TRAIN (1945) made the Siren's Top 20 list.

...Speaking of Deanna Durbin, Grand Old Movies reviewed Durbin and Gene Kelly in CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY (1944).

...I learned a lot about Diana Dors from this post by the Self-Styled Siren. I have one of her movies in a set of British films and will have to check it out.

...Susan King of the Los Angeles Times recently interviewed Doris Day. Day will be awarded an L.A. Film Critics Life Achievement award on January 13th. She will not attend the ceremony but says she is "thrilled." I'd sure like to see her also receive an honorary Oscar, even if she doesn't wish to attend the ceremony. She more than deserves it.

...I enjoyed Elisabeth's lists of her favorite movies and books of the past year, posted at The Second Sentence. There are some great ideas here to enjoy in 2012!

...Last week Twitter went crazy with the hashtag FavoriteThingsinClassicFilm, started by Jill of Sittin' on a Backyard Fence. It was great fun reading the wide variety of submissions. Jill shared more about the fun at her blog.

...Dorian has a fun take on NIAGARA (1953) at Tales of the Easily Distracted. NIAGARA stars Joseph Cotten, Jean Peters, and Marilyn Monroe. It's a colorful noir, if that's not an oxymoron!

...Hugh Jackman plans to star in a Broadway musical about Harry Houdini, with Aaron Sorkin serving as librettist. Interesting... Jackman will star in the film version of LES MISERABLES. But Taylor Swift and Amanda Seyfried as Eponine and Cosette?

...The Daily Mail has an interesting story on theories regarding Glenn Miller's doomed flight. The 1944 diary of a 17-year-old plane spotter is involved.

...Notable Passings: I was very much saddened by the death of political columnist and pundit Tony Blankley, former editorial writer for the Washington Times. Blankley had been a child actor, with credits including the Humphrey Bogart film THE HARDER THEY FALL (1956)...Screenwriter Frederica Sagor passed on at the remarkable age of 111. She wrote a number of silent films and later returned to films writing the story for the Betty Grable film THE SHOCKING MISS PILGRIM (1947)...Master swordsman Bob Anderson has passed on at the age of 87. Don't miss his obituary; I especially liked the part where he says "I believe I learned as much from [Errol] Flynn as I taught him."

...For lots more recent links, please visit last Tuesday's New Year's roundup.

Have a great week!

8 Comments:

Blogger Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

Thank you so much for the link.

Your round-ups every week are so helpful for us to keep up with other bloggers we might miss. Thanks again.

5:40 AM  
Blogger DKoren said...

Oh no, Bob Anderson has passed away? Very sad news! :-(

And I enjoyed the article on Ernie's restaurant, and Kim Novak's costumes. My sister has a book on the making of Vertigo, in which I read the quote about Novak objecting to grey, and how they her got past that.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Clara Fercovic said...

Thanks for the mention, Laura!

8:03 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Grace Foley said...

Thanks so much for linking to my posts!

11:42 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

I'll miss Tony Blankley on the McLaughlin Group. Never knew he was a child actor.

6:57 PM  
Blogger KC said...

Thanks for the mention. I have the feeling I'd like Downton Abby. I don't know what is taking me so long to watch it. I mean, it's right there on instant play!

9:18 PM  
Blogger Blake Lucas said...

Thanks for the kind words, Laura. I saw your blog mentioned at davekehr.com and that was really nice. Naturally, with MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS being discussed, MARGIE came up because people were acutely aware of that Christmas Eve showing on TCM and others there were pushing it too. MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS and MARGIE have some common virtues as well as other affinities, not to mention they are both really great films. Like you, I was taken with Dave Kehr's piece and especially his discussion of color and said so there, and really got me in the mood to get back to MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS for this Christmas--hadn't seen it in five or six years, and it was as wonderful as ever. Some movies just never wear out.

11:51 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

You're all very welcome for the links, and thanks to each of *you* for providing such wonderful material I can help to share with others!

Wasn't that sad news about Bob Anderson, Deb? All the more so with your interest in fencing.

Tom, I really enjoyed Tony Blankley when I came across him on TV -- a witty and knowledgeable man.

KC, I bet you'd like DOWNTON ABBEY too -- it really sucks you in from the first few minutes. :)

Blake, I so agree about ST. LOUIS never wearing out. I didn't get a chance to watch it this Christmas, but one day during vacation my daughter was watching it and I could hear most of it as I was working. The movie kind of unspooled in my mind's eye, I've seen it so many times. The images, acting, everything about it is unforgettable and never grows old.

Best wishes,
Laura

12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older