Sunday, January 29, 2012

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...Tom Selleck's next JESSE STONE TV-movie, BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT (2012), will be shown on CBS May 20th. Selleck cowrote the screenplay. I need to catch up on seeing the last couple Stone films!

...The New York Post published an interesting interview with Turner Classic Movies programmer Charlie Tabesh today.

...Speaking of TCM, at Immortal Ephemera Cliff has thoughts on the station's annual Oscar month, and he also breaks down by decade the films TCM is showing early this year. I found the results of his tally interesting.

...Cliff also recently reviewed Robert Montgomery in PICCADILLY JIM (1936), a film I reviewed last summer. I always enjoy reading more about Robert Montgomery films!

...At Classic Movies, KC shares thoughts on Robert Montgomery and Joan Crawford in LETTY LYNTON (1932), one of my favorite pre-Codes. Let's hope that Warner Archive succeeds in untangling the legal issues so it can at last be widely seen, in a good print.

...At Dear Old Hollywood, Robby checks out the locations of WHO'S BEEN SLEEPING IN MY BED? (1963). I especially loved the shots of Market Basket, a grocery store I remember from my early childhood. The blue Van De Kamp's bakery sign hanging over the door brings back memories.

...And over in England, Matthew finds a location from Ealing comedies at Movietone News. He shares some terrific photos.

...Debbie Reynolds gave her ONE FOR THE MONEY (2012) co-star Katherine Heigl a new perspective on what constitutes a long, hard day on a movie set.

...Colin shares thoughts on the Randolph Scott-Budd Boetticher Western WESTBOUND (1958) at Riding the High Country, and there's a good discussion which follows in the comments. I liked it. It's available in a boxed set of Randolph Scott Westerns from Warner Archive.

...TRANSATLANTIC (1931), starring Edmund Lowe and Myrna Loy, sounds quite interesting. Read more about it at Where Danger Lives.

...Raquelle recently reviewed James Garner and Eva Marie Saint in GRAND PRIX (1966) at Out of the Past. Racing fans will want to check out her series on other racing films of the late '60s and early '70s.

...Sometimes I enjoy Roger Ebert, and other times we sharply part company. His recent column on DOWNTON ABBEY made me smile.

...Here's a great recipe for molasses cookies published by the L.A. Times. It originates from Milk in Los Angeles.

...Slow-Cooker Brunswick Stew, from Cook's Country, looks good too!

...Why is the first season of L.A. LAW out on Region 2 DVD but not available on DVD or even streaming in the U.S.?

...Restaurants strategize how to deal with their customers' ever-present cell phones. I was amused by the term "reciprocell."

...Reese Witherspoon's new movie, THIS MEANS WAR (2012), is due out on Valentine's Day. It was going to receive an R rating, which would have limited the film's potential audience, but the studio made edits and it's now rated PG-13. That change sounds good to me; I've had my fill of rated R dialogue for a while after seeing THE DESCENDANTS (2011) and CONTRABAND (2012) in recent weeks. I shared a link for the THIS MEANS WAR trailer last fall.

...Yosemite is considering a plan to limit hikers on Half Dome. I've thought the current policy, which allows children on the dangerous trail, was kind of nuts for years now.

...Over at Sidewalk Crossings, Deb reviews Stewart Granger and Valerie Hobson in BLANCHE FURY (1948). It can be streamed on Netflix.

...Attention Southern Californians: On Wednesday, February 8th, UCLA will be hosting a film noir double bill of Cornel Wilde and Richard Conte in THE BIG COMBO (1955), teamed with Dick Powell and Lizabeth Scott in PITFALL (1948). The films will be shown in 35mm prints at the historic Million Dollar Theater in Downtown Los Angeles. Alan Rode, who is always a pleasure to hear speak, will be on hand. I'm hoping to attend.

...Notable Passings: Screenwriter Robert Dozier passed away at the age of 81. He was married to Diana Muldaur and was the son of producer William Dozier. One of his stepmothers was Joan Fontaine, and his stepmother of many decades was Ann Rutherford. (Via KC at Classic Movies.)...Actor James Farentino, who had a long, busy TV career, passed on at the age of 73...Emmy-winning director John Rich, who worked on many episodes of THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, has died at the age of 86.

Have a great week!

6 Comments:

Blogger Colin said...

Thanks for highlighting my post on Westbound. It's far from the best of Boetticher and Scott, but it's not a bad film by any means - just not so substantial.

Best,
Colin

1:21 AM  
Blogger monty said...

Once again Laura, your around the blogosphere post is just full of great information. Thank you for continuing to do this. It is one the best features in blog land!

3:25 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

Yes! Another Jessie Stone movie!! Thanks for the heads up.

9:38 AM  
Blogger KC said...

Thanks for the mention Laura. I'm so grateful I caught L. Lynton when it popped up on YouTube. It would be amazing to have that on DVD. I'd actually love to see that one in a theater.

I don't think I've told you that I finally got into Downton Abbey. Holy cow, what took me so long! It took me two days to get through the first season. That's just because I forced myself to go to bed. Now I'm trying to slow down with the second season because I'm almost caught up. Makes me want to watch Brideshead Revisited again.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Raquel Stecher said...

Thanks for the mention and all those great links. I'm really curious to see what Roger Ebert has to say about Downton Abbey!

9:00 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank *you* all so much for the support and for writing so many great posts I can link to for others to enjoy. :)

Colin, my perspective on WESTBOUND may have been aided by the fact that so far I've only seen SEVEN MEN FROM NOW and THE TALL T, so I wasn't comparing it to the entire Scott/Boetticher series -- instead was looking at it more in the context of some of Scott's "regular" Westerns.

Monty, your words encourage me more than I can say. Thank you!

Glad I could provide the heads up, Irene! More good stuff ahead. :)

KC, LETTY LYNTON is one of my favorite Montgomery performances. We'll hope that it's available before too long! I'm delighted you got sucked into DOWNTON ABBEY. So good! I've been remembering THE DUCHESS OF DUKE STREET lately and thinking I should revisit that one.

My pleasure, Raquelle, and I hope you enjoyed the Ebert column! I got a kick out of how much he enjoys DOWNTON ABBEY. Some of his best writing in the past has been sharing his love for England.

Best wishes,
Laura

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older