Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Coming to the Egyptian Theatre: The Sound of Music (1965)

If I were to choose just one title as the single most significant film in a lifetime of movie viewing, it would have to be THE SOUND OF MUSIC (1965). The movie and its music run like a thread from my earliest childhood and through all the years since. It's not really possible for me to put into words all that the film has meant to me over the years...at least not in a post of just a few paragraphs.

I believe that the last time I saw THE SOUND OF MUSIC in a theater I was in college, when a friend and I spontaneously made the long drive from Redlands to the Vagabond Theater in Los Angeles one Sunday, within an hour or two of learning it was playing there. One very happy memory among many!

I was thus quite excited to learn that my favorite theater, the Egyptian in Hollywood, is showing THE SOUND OF MUSIC in 70mm on Mother's Day.

Even more special is the news that three of the "children" will be there in person: Charmian Carr (Liesl), Angela Cartwright (Brigitta), and Kym Karath (Gretl).

The girls will be signing the new book they coauthored with their other movie "siblings" and Fred Bronson, THE SOUND OF MUSIC FAMILY SCRAPBOOK.

I had ordered the book prior to learning about the screening, and it arrived yesterday. I haven't had much time to spend with it yet, but based on what I've seen so far, I can unequivocally state that any serious SOUND OF MUSIC fan must own this book.

 I have many books on the movie, as well as my own collection of stills, costume test stills, and lobby cards, and this book is an absolute treasure trove of previously unpublished behind-the-scenes photos and other memorabilia. It even includes a DVD of home movies taken by the children's parents on the set. I can tell it will be a favorite among my large collection of books on movies.

5 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Clark said...

I bought the book recently, too. It's wonderful. I love books with reproduced keepsakes, like this one and The Audrey Hepburn Treasures.

Hope you have a wonderful time seeing the movie in the theater again! I've never seen it on the big screen, so I can only imagine how amazing that must be. To this day my mother still talks about how breathtaking she found the mountain scenery when she saw the film in the '60s.

MC

8:57 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

MC, I'm delighted you are also enjoying the book! Isn't it special? I'm making a note to check out the Audrey Hepburn book you mention, I'm not familiar with it.

Thank you for the good wishes! My very earliest movie memories are seeing MARY POPPINS and THE SOUND OF MUSIC in theaters around age 3. They made a lifelong impression. :) I hope you'll have the chance to see THE SOUND OF MUSIC on a big screen one day yourself!

Best wishes,
Laura

2:16 PM  
Blogger Robby Cress said...

How exciting, I wish I could make it! the "The Sound of Music" has always been a favorite. I remember as a kid my Mom would always play the soundtrack in the car on long road trips, so i have fond memories of both the music and the film. I know she would love to go for a Mothers Day event. I wish this film was screened more often and not as a sing-a-long.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Grace Foley said...

Did the comment I made last night get lost somehow? I've managed to goof up my word verifications a few times since Blogger's changes came into play. :)

I was going to say, I've always wanted to see The Sound of Music in a theatre! I remember being stunned when I got the DVD and first saw it in widescreen - I was amazed at how much more there was to it. I wonder, could we hope for a 50th anniversary showing in theatres, similar to the Casablanca event?

6:58 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

What a neat memory, Robby! Perhaps one day you and your wife will be able to take your little girl to a screening of this movie. :)

Elisabeth, never received your previous comment -- comments do seem to be a challenge on Blogger these days, between the new spam prevention system (which almost seems like comment prevention!) and other changes -- I'm not receiving prompt email notifications of comments which need to be moderated and can only do it on mobile devices about half the time.

Anyway, you'll love it when you have the chance to see this film in a theater, it's spectacular! I think some sort of nationwide 50th anniversary screening is a great idea. I bet there's a good chance something like that will happen given the film's longtime popularity.

Best wishes,
Laura

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older