Thursday, June 14, 2012

Cars Land Preview: Radiator Springs Racers and Mater's Junkyard Jamboree

It's time to continue the tour of the brand-new Cars Land at Disney California Adventure!

Today we'll be taking a peek at the park's new E Ticket ride, Radiator Springs Racers, along with Mater's Junkyard Jamboree. These two rides plus Luigi's Flying Tires are the three brand-new rides in Cars Land. Luigi's was described in yesterday's post.


Radiator Springs Racers is the crown jewel of Cars Land, from its setting against the Cadillac Range to the incredibly detailed queue to the ride itself, which is part classic Disney dark ride, part thrill ride.


As guests pass through the queue the back story of Radiator Springs is depicted...



...and everything looks amazingly "lived in" and beautifully rusted.



Along the queue area there are strategically placed buildings, such as this "glass bottle house," which provide both shade and cooling fans:


In the last section of the ride, two cars race one another down the highway. It was great fun, with hills and steep banking, exciting but not too thrilling for people who don't care for extreme rides.

This is a view of the end of the ride as seen from the exit walkway:


Mater's Junkyard Jamboree may be the surprise of the new land, a solid C ride which we all really enjoyed, from the jaunty music and Mater's jokes to the way the tractors slide around unexpectedly quickly.

Part of the queue line:


And the ride itself:


One of the unusual things is the tractors are on turntables, but then the tractors move and join other turntables, progressing around the entire ride floor and back to the starting point.


I have mild inner ear problems which lead me to not like things which spin too quickly -- King Triton's Carousel is fine for me, while the Mad Tea Party is not (grin) -- and Mater's was just right for me. The vehicles spin around, but not so quickly as to make susceptible people feel green.

One of the things I really look forward to enjoying on a future trip to Cars Land is the nightly turning on of all the neon lights, set to the song "Sh-Boom." It can be enjoyed on an excellent and very colorful video put together by MousePlanet.

I may have a few more random Cars Land pictures in my next photo post, and then we'll be moving on to California Adventure's gorgeous new main entrance land, Buena Vista Street!

Previously: Disney California Adventure: Cars Land Preview!; Cars Land Preview: Flo's V8 Cafe and Casa Della Tires.

Update: Cars Land Preview: Around Radiator Springs; Disney California Adventure: Buena Vista Street Preview (and More!); Disney California Adventure: More Buena Vista Street.

5 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

I sure am enjoying all the coverage that has been happening for Carsland and other new things. Regarding Mater's Junkyard Jamboree - Billy Hill and the Hillbillies provided the background music you hear on that ride. They recorded with other musicians last Fall.

6:00 AM  
Blogger DKoren said...

How fun! I'm also really enjoying these pictures and commentary on the new Carsland. I can't wait to see it!

9:00 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for sharing that info, Irene!

Hope both of you can visit soon, you'll love it!

Best wishes,
Laura

12:00 PM  
Blogger DKoren said...

Now that I've been there, I had to come back and re-read your report! I really enjoyed the Racers ride. Quite fun. I was not expecting the first half cruising around Radiator Springs. That was neat. I managed to convince my sister to ride it with me, but it was far too fast for her. I'm very impressed that she actually went on it to begin with. She, however, loved Luigi's Flying Tires. That, she said, was her speed. LOL!

I have to admit, Cars Land at night was beautiful. The way they have the rocks lit up is amazing. I can't wait to go back.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Delighted you got to visit Radiator Springs and that you stopped back to read my post, Deb! I really enjoy the Racers right because it combines two styles of ride, the classic Disney "dark" story-telling ride and a fast ride! Glad your sis loved Luigi's! The atmosphere is great. Hope to see you out there in the months to come!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here!

Best wishes,
Laura

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older