Friday, November 02, 2012

Quick Preview of TCM in January

I'm especially happy about the January schedule for Turner Classic Movies, as TCM will be honoring one of my favorite actresses, Loretta Young, with a centennial tribute.

In my view the honor couldn't be more deserved. It's been especially exciting to see Loretta's career re-evaluated in recent years as her pre-Code films have become available for viewing. Her teenaged performances in films such as TAXI! (1932) and MIDNIGHT MARY (1933) show off fresh aspects of the Oscar-winning actress's abilities.

A great many of Loretta Young's pre-Code films will be among over 30 of her movies scheduled to be shown in January. Also on the schedule are excellent films from later in her career, including the charming THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER (1947), for which she won the Oscar; THE STRANGER (1946), an excellent suspenser with Orson Welles and Edward G. Robinson; CAUSE FOR ALARM! (1951), a nailbiting "housewife noir" which unfolds in just 74 minutes; and the wonderful pioneer story RACHEL AND THE STRANGER (1948) opposite William Holden and Robert Mitchum.

You can read much more about Loretta's career in the birthday tribute I posted last January. It includes links to reviews of nearly three dozen Young films, many of which will be shown as part of the tribute on TCM.

I'm a big Priscilla Lane fan and am also delighted that one of the last two Lane films I need for my collection, SILVER QUEEN (1942) with Lane and George Brent, turns up at last on January 25th.

TCM recently ran an entire day of "B" movies directed by Lew Landers, including THE MAN WHO FOUND HIMSELF (1937), and I'm happy to say another day packed with 10 Landers films is coming in January! The prospect is great fun for those of us who enjoy exploring lesser-known films.

Also on tap in January: tributes to Jane Wyman, Danny Kaye, Marion Davies, Susan Hayward, George Raft, Sidney Poitier, Richard Dix, and Anita Louise. Do you know how happy it makes me that TCM not only plays Anita Louise movies, but has an entire day of her films scheduled on her birthday?!  Thank you, TCM.

Supernatural fantasies, '60s musicals based on Broadway shows, films set in Rome, Gothic noir, and sci-fi are also ahead in abundance this January.

The current Star of the Month is Constance Bennett, with Barbara Stanwyck coming in December.

For more on the current month's TCM schedule, please visit TCM in November: Highlights.

Update: For more on TCM in January 2013, please visit TCM in January: Highlights and TCM Star of the Month: Loretta Young.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a fan of Loretta Young too - hope that 'Man's Castle', another great pre-Code, is included for you. I've just seen 'Cause for Alarm!' and nail-biting is the word - will check out your review of that one! Judy

1:21 AM  
Blogger DorianTB said...

Laura, I liked Loretta Young in THE STRANGER and CAUSE FOR ALARM! as well as her charming Oscar-winning performance in THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER, so I'll keep an eye out for that. But I'm especially interested in what you have in store for Danny Kaye! I've just begun reading David Koenig's bio DANNY KAYE: KING OF JESTERS, which I plan to review over at TALES OF THE EASILY DISTRACTED when I'm finished, so I look forward to finding out more!

4:54 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Judy, MAN'S CASTLE sounds like it's special -- I recorded it during Spencer Tracy month but (what else is new?) that's one I haven't gotten to yet. So glad you were able to check out CAUSE FOR ALARM!

Didn't know about the new Kaye book, Dorian, thanks for mentioning it! Looking forward to your review. Kaye's films for Goldwyn used to be shown on KTLA Ch. 5 when I was little. UP IN ARMS was a particular fave! Glad to see it's part of the tribute.

Best wishes,
Laura

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the Priscilla Lane update! Silver Queen is one of the few movies I have yet to see so I am looking forward to it.

3:32 PM  
Blogger John/24Frames said...

THE STRANGER and CLAUSE FOR ALARM are both must sees. As for Danny Kaye, I just interviewed David Koenig author of DANNY KAYE:KING OF JESTERS over at Twenty Four Frames. It's a fascinating book focusing on Kaye's multi faceted career.

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older