Sunday, January 13, 2013

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...I was doing a little reading up on the Harold Lloyd film SAFETY LAST! (1923) in preparation for watching it this month and came upon a really interesting website: Chaplin-Keaton-Lloyd Film Locations (and More). It's mostly about silent movies, but writer John Bengtson also ties the locations in with later productions, such as matching up scenes from a Harold Lloyd film with CRISS CROSS (1949). This site looks like a great read for anyone interested in Los Angeles and Southern California movie locations. (This photo of the Angels Flight Railway is from the USC Archives.)

...Speaking of Harold Lloyd, did you know Robert Mitchum's son Chris married the silent movie legend's niece? Here's a recent profile of Chris's daughter Carrie, an actress turned chef.

...For more on movie locations, here's a fun photo article on a few well-known movie spots, forwarded by my friend Jill. Among the sites featured are the Bradbury Building and the Greystone mansion in Los Angeles.

...The special Dark Pages issue on NIGHTMARE ALLEY will be out soon! It will include my interview with Coleen Gray.

...Jeff has a nice post on GARDEN OF EVIL (1954) at THE STALKING MOON. The movie has quite a cast: Gary Cooper, Susan Hayward, Richard Widmark, and Cameron Mitchell.

...At The Skeins, Moira writes about Victor Mature and Susan Hayward in DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS (1954), saying it's a bad movie she loves. Sounds like something I need to check out too!

...A federal appeals court has ruled the U.S. Postal Service cannot give Netflix preferential treatment over other DVD-by-mail services.

...I've written briefly in the past of my love for '50s Bell Science documentaries such as Frank Capra's HEMO THE MAGNIFICENT (1957). Dr. Frank Baxter of the University of Southern California costarred in the Capra movies with Richard Carlson, and I recently discovered there are other Bell programs with Dr. Baxter available on DVD, such as GATEWAYS TO THE MIND (1958) and THE ALPHABET CONSPIRACY (1959). I love the genial Baxter and plan to check out these shows.

...Leonard Maltin writes on "Why the Oscars Still Matter."

...The London Underground is 150 years old this month!

...MIDNIGHT MARY (1933) is one of my favorite Loretta Young films, so was glad to see Cliff shine a spotlight on the movie at Immortal Ephemera.

...At Shadows and Satin, Karen shared her thoughts on the title which is perhaps Loretta's most mind-boggling pre-Code, SHE HAD TO SAY YES (1933). I was left rather dumbfounded when I first saw it myself!

...Vince Keenan reviews Margaret Talbot's book on her father, Lyle Talbot, THE ENTERTAINER. It's on my reading wish list.

...Attention Southern Californians: This Thursday, January 17th, Ben Affleck will appear at the American Cinematheque's Aero Theatre in Santa Monica for a discussion in between a double bill of ARGO (2012) and THE TOWN (2010).

...More news for Southern Californians: The Bowers Museum in Santa Ana currently features an exhibit titled "Cut! Costume and Cinema." It runs through March 10th. Thanks to my friend Jori for the info.

...A new series started last night at UCLA: Silent/Sync/Sound: Multiple Versions From the Transition Era. There's more info from Susan King in the Los Angeles Times. The series runs through February 17th.

...Like Disney? Be sure to check out this month's roundup of news on Disney theme parks and movies.

...Notable Passing: Like so many Californians, I was terribly sorry to learn of the passing of beloved TV travel show host Huell Howser. He was 67. I noted his retirement in December and linked to descriptions of some of my favorite episodes. Robby pays tribute to Huell at Dear Old Hollywood -- and links to the part of the In-n-Out Burger episode where Huell learns all about the "secret" menu. Huell was a wonderful man, and he will be very greatly missed.

Have a great week!

4 Comments:

Blogger mel said...

Thanks for the link to the Leonard Maltin piece, Laura.

Maltin is writing about the pageant, not the institution itself. Even when I was passionately interested in all aspects and categories of the Academy Awards, which petered out for me at the beginning of the 1980s, I have never watched the ceremony.

These days I couldn't care less.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Mel!

I think my interest in the modern-day Oscars started to peter out around the same time -- I never quite got over ANNIE HALL beating out STAR WARS for Best Picture (grin). The lack of interest has only become more pronounced with the passage of time.

How interesting that you have never watched the ceremony!

Best wishes,
Laura

10:33 PM  
Blogger Jeff Flugel said...

I always love these "Around the Blogosphere" posts, Laura, and am thrilled that you were nice enough to include my GARDEN OF EVIL piece in this one - thanks for that!

Lots of good reading per usual. I echo Mel in thanking you for the link to the Maltin piece. I often criticize the Oscars for all the expected reasons, but he makes a good case for their relevance.

3:57 AM  
Blogger SimpleGifts said...

Hi, Laura - I grabbed "The Entertainer" off the new book shelf at the library and just finished reading it. The gifted author provides a delightful, affectionate and honest portrait of her father, Lyle Talbot -- a guy who just loved being in show biz. We read all the time about the big name stars but here's the fascinating story of an unsung working actor. Interwoven with Lyle's story is an in depth history of entertainment during the last century. I loved this book and I think you will, too. Thank you for the recommendation! Best, Jane

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older