Friday, July 19, 2013

Coming to DVD: The Big Combo (1955)

This has been a great week for DVD news!

Earlier this week Criterion announced the long-awaited releases of I MARRIED A WITCH (1942) and THE UNINVITED (1944), two popular films long missing from DVD. Both movies will be out in October 2013.

Now comes the news that Olive Films will be releasing a UCLA restoration of the film noir classic THE BIG COMBO (1955). THE BIG COMBO stars Cornel Wilde, Richard Conte, and Jean Wallace. It was directed by Joseph H. Lewis.

THE BIG COMBO has had previous DVD releases of questionable quality, so the prospect of a beautifully remastered print is very exciting. It will be released on both standard DVD and Blu-ray on September 24th.

I saw a 35mm print of UCLA's restoration of THE BIG COMBO last year at a very memorable screening at an old movie palace in Downtown Los Angeles, the Million Dollar Theater.

When the movie started, I wasn't quite sure what to make of it, but as I wrote in my review, it soon pulled me under its spell. In the year since first seeing it, I haven't been able to forget the movie and its incredibly haunting, memorable images, photographed by John Alton. This one is a must see.

Also coming on September 24th: The comedy GUEST WIFE (1945) starring Claudette Colbert, Don Ameche, and Dick Foran.

I reviewed GUEST WIFE last year.

Update: Another interesting title, via ClassicFlix: PLUNDER ROAD (1957) starring Wayne Morris, Gene Raymond, Jeanne Cooper, and Elisha Cook Jr. There's some nice feedback on it at IMDb. Sounds like my kind of movie.

4 Comments:

Blogger Caftan Woman said...

My DVD of questionable quality will be sad to hear that it will soon be replaced. On the other hand, I'm thrilled. Thanks for the news.

1:41 PM  
Blogger barrylane said...

The single most erotic moment ever filmed, with Jean Wallace and Richard Conte. The camera never leaves Jean. Wow!

1:53 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Isn't it great news?! That's one I'll want to pre-order and get right away.

Isn't that Wallace-Conte scene a jaw-dropper? It simultaneously shows nothing and everything. Those were the days.

Best wishes,
Laura

2:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is great to hear! I've only seen the film streaming on Netflix, and they have a pretty awful print. I try to be open-minded in situations like that, but it was awfully hard to look beyond the terrible picture quality (and sound) and enjoy the film in this case. Hopefully I'll have a chance to give the new DVD a go.

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older