Tuesday, October 15, 2013

25 Years Ago Tonight...

...the Dodgers were down to their last out in Game 1 of the World Series against the Oakland A's, and this lifelong Dodgers fan was feeling pretty dejected.

Still, I thought to myself, "Sometimes miracles happen." And then...



For those who don't want to see the fanciful -- but perfect -- "movie mix" version, here's the entire bottom half of the 9th inning as called by Vin Scully.

The week only got better for me from there, as the next morning I went into labor with our first child, and soon after we brought our baby home from the hospital, the Dodgers became the 1988 World Champions.

A quarter century later, pitcher Dennis Eckersley has used social media, which wasn't even in existence in '88, to send Gibson a classy anniversary greeting.

It kind of boggles the mind to think that in '88 I was still using a typewriter, four years away from owning our first PC, and we were also still a few years away from a cell phone or cable TV. It really wasn't all that long ago, yet in some ways 1988 seems like the Dark Ages!

5 Comments:

Blogger Waves of Gray said...

As my Chicago Cubs were eliminated early in the season (again), I have been rooting for the Dodgers, and I was actually a big fan of the team during my childhood. Steve Garvey was my favorite player. I was hoping for another Gibson-like miracle at the end of game four to even the series. While movies are best when there's conflict and drama, that's the last thing I want to see for the remaining games. If the Dodgers' bats can wake up and blow out the Cardinals, that will be more than entertaining enough for me.

1:15 AM  
Blogger Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

Lovely memories, and, yes, astounding to think what technological changes in our lives have occurred since.

4:40 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Waves of Gray, I grew up in the Garvey-Russell-Lopes-Cey era. :) I was greatly relieved by the outcome of today's game against the Cardinals and hope for more good news this weekend in St. Louis! We shall see.

Thanks, Jacqueline! Technology seems to have changed so quickly since my daughter was born -- so many things didn't exist in 1988, from iPods to DVDs and so much more! When she was young we were watching over-the-air TV and Beta videotapes, LOL.

Best wishes,
Laura

12:13 AM  
Blogger SimpleGifts said...

A moment I'll never forget and why I love baseball. (I watched it propped up on the couch as I, too, was very pregnant!) Thanks for the memories -- Jane

10:07 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Jane, that is so fun you were very pregnant watching that too! I always joke it sent me into labor...it was just a few hours later I went to the hospital, LOL.

Best wishes,
Laura

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older