Monday, March 17, 2014

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...the St. Patrick's Day edition!

...Turner Classic Movies has announced the dates for the 2014 TCM Cruise, October 21-26. The cruise will be on the Disney Magic and travel from Port Canaveral to Key West, with a stop on Disney's Castaway Cay.

...Film historian Jeanine Basinger is teaching an online course based on her book I DO AND I DON'T, which I reviewed last year. I need to dig deeper but at first glance it appears to be free of charge, and if so I'll definitely be checking it out. (Via Le.)

...Screen Archives Entertainment is having a rare five-day sale on Twilight Time Blu-rays and DVDs beginning Wednesday afternoon, March 19th. Every Blu-ray is $10 off. The handful of standard DVD titles the company released at its inception will also be on sale.

...A great blogathon coming from Aurora at How Sweet It Was: Big Stars on the Small Screen, which she'll be hosting later this week, March 20th and 21st.

...Jacqueline celebrates the St. Patrick's Day holiday with a look at TOP O' THE MORNING (1949) at Another Old Movie Blog. I reviewed this Bing Crosby-Ann Blyth film on St. Patrick's Day last year. Amazon Prime members can stream it at no extra charge.

...Speaking of Amazon, the company has a streaming device in the works.

...Amazon just raised the price of its Amazon Prime two-day shipping/streaming package from $79 to $99. This is the first increase in the price of Amazon Prime in nine years.

...Criterion's latest releases include a reissue of Douglas Sirk's ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS (1955) on Blu-ray. I have Criterion's 2001 DVD release. It's a terrific movie starring Jane Wyman and Rock Hudson.

...Over at Movie Star Makeover, Kay looks at the fashions in SUNDAY IN NEW YORK (1963), starring Rod Taylor and Jane Fonda.

...Fox Cinema Archives announced a big new wave of titles to be released on DVD-R, including a favorite, I'D CLIMB THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN (1951), previously reviewed here. It stars William Lundigan and Susan Hayward as a minister and his wife working in a rural community. Other titles coming soon: KENTUCKY (1938) with Loretta Young and Oscar winner Walter Brennan, June Haver in SCUDDA HOO! SCUDDA HAY! (1948), and Linda Darnell in FOREVER AMBER (1947).

...Thanks to Will for letting me know that childhood favorite NANNY AND THE PROFESSOR (1970) can be streamed free online at Hulu. It stars Richard Long and Juliet Mills. The opening credits are so '70s!

...I was delighted to learn that Lindsay did a post some time ago on locations for THE GLENN MILLER STORY (1954), which starred James Stewart and June Allyson, directed by Anthony Mann. Having missed her post previously, I'm glad to have caught up with it as the movie is a longtime favorite.

...Last week I mentioned TV's THE CHISHOLMS is coming to DVD at long last. TVShowsonDVD now has the box art for this June 10th release.

...A new book from Robert Wagner and Scott Eyman, who collaborated on Wagner's 2009 memoir PIECES OF MY HEART: YOU MUST REMEMBER THIS: LIFE AND STYLE IN HOLLYWOOD'S GOLDEN AGE. It was published last week by Viking. Susan King recently interviewed Wagner about the book for the Los Angeles Times.

...More TV: Here's the annual pre-season photo shoot for MAD MEN, which will return to AMC on April 13th for its seventh and final season.

...For tenderhearted animal lovers who want movie plot spoilers, you can check this website: Does the Dog Die?

...My latest article for ClassicFlix is a tribute to the late Joan Fontaine.

...At the left: a cell phone snapshot taken at tonight's annual passholder St. Patrick's Day party at Disney California Adventure.

...Notable Passings: Actor-Musician Med Flory has passed away at 87. The founder of the group Supersax was a guest in countless TV series, including many Westerns such as MAVERICK, LAWMAN, WAGON TRAIN, and THE VIRGINIAN...Movie trailer voiceover narrator Hal Douglas has died at 89...AP Hollywood reporter and biographer Bob Thomas passed on at 89. Thomas's many books included WALT DISNEY: AN AMERICAN ORIGINAL and JOAN CRAWFORD.

...Coming soon: A pair of posts on last Friday's TCM Bus Tour of L.A. movie locations.

Have a great week!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've joined up for that online course by Jeanine Basinger.. Thanks for the info.

1:02 AM  
Blogger Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

Thanks so much for the mention. Wagner's book sounds interesting. Looking forward to your bus tour posts.

5:21 AM  
Blogger Melissa Clark said...

I ordered Robert Wagner's new book last week and am looking forward to reading it. Hopefully I'll write a review on my blog once I do.

The online Jeanine Basinger course sounds fantastic. I'm not sure I have the time to commit to it in April, but it's tempting. Especially since it's free!

Thanks as always for the great links. :)

7:29 AM  
Blogger LĂȘ said...

I'm so glad people are interested in the course. Thanks for advertising it! And yes, it's free and you end up with a cool certificate. The site and the university offered a course on film in which your blog appeared as a reference in a lesson.
Kisses!

8:00 AM  
Blogger Robby Cress said...

That new Robert Wagner book I bet will be pretty good. His memoir is full of fascinating stories, so I'm sure this new book will also. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

Laura, wow, that 'Does the Dog Die' site would have been great for me with my kids when they were younger - I remember asking around to make that very check on one film and then deciding we had better not see it! Actually it's quite a good check for me without the kids, too.

Sadly, I definitely don't have time for that Basinger course at the moment, but it sounds great.

12:29 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I am quite overdue thanking you all for you comments -- spending all weekend at film festivals is hard work, LOL!!

I'm so glad I could spread the word on the Jeanine Basinger course. I think I'm going to see if there's still room and try it out myself.

Jacqueline, Wagner's first book was very good, thanks in part to working with such a good writer -- Eyman is getting raves for his new John Wayne bio -- so I think it will definitely be worth trying. MC, I'd love to know what you think, please let us know if you review it!

Le, I was unfamiliar with online courses such as Basinger, and now that I really understand it was a Wesleyan University course that referenced my blog I think that is just terrific. Thank you so much for explaining that and letting me know!

Judy, I'm definitely someone that will be using the Does the Dog Die site, LOL. I tend to prefer spoilers anyway, and if there's an animal in danger I'd just as soon know in advance!

Thanks to you all again very much for taking time out to share your comments!!!

Best wishes,
Laura

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older