Sunday, May 11, 2014

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...the Mother's Day Edition!

...Here's a new book with a fascinating topic: THE DARK GALLERIES: A MUSEUM GUIDE TO PAINTED PORTRAITS IN FILM NOIR, GOTHIC MELODRAMAS, AND GHOST STORIES OF THE 1940S AND 1950S. Have to read this one!

...It's been announced that the Shout! Factory will be releasing all four seasons of WKRP IN CINCINNATI. The biggest question, of course, is whether Shout! has been able to successfully address the program's music licensing issues. The 2007 release of Season 1 was a disappointment for fans due to the omission of many songs from the show's original soundtrack.

...Here's another great-looking new book, from Oxford University Press: DANGEROUS RHYTHM: WHY MOVIE MUSICALS MATTER by Richard Barrios, author of A SONG IN THE DARK: THE BIRTH OF THE MUSICAL FILM. I'll be reviewing DANGEROUS RHYTHM in the future.

...I recently wondered why I was seeing lots of photographs of bookshelves on Twitter, and this article on "shelfies" provided the answer. Since I love books I rather enjoy seeing these photos!

...Here's a great post from Robby at Dear Old Hollywood on the Los Angeles locations of PERFECT STRANGERS (1950) which melds a romantic melodrama with a courtroom trial. Ginger Rogers, Dennis Morgan, and Thelma Ritter costar.

...A new interview with the wonderful Marsha Hunt.

...The latest releases from Fox Cinema Archives include Linda Darnell in FOREVER AMBER (1947). Glenn Erickson has an informative review at DVD Savant.

...Jeff takes a close look at Anthony Mann's THUNDER BAY (1953) at The Stalking Moon. When I first watched the movie a number of years ago I wasn't very impressed, but given how much I've come to appreciate Mann and costar Dan Duryea, I'm hoping I'll enjoy it more the second time around. James Stewart stars.

...At Out of the Past, Raquel has shared an account of the Charlton Heston Stamp Dedication Ceremony at the TCM Classic Film Festival. Of all the events and screenings I missed, this is the one I most wish I'd seen.

...For those who didn't get a chance to see it in the TCM Festival Boutique: PLAY IT AGAIN: THE CLASSIC SOUND OF HOLLYWOOD, a 2-disc CD featuring selections from well-known movie scores.

...I'm not sure I've ever seen a Bill Elliott movie. 50 Westerns From the 50s and Pop Matters make me think I need to rectify that.

...I've been meaning to mention Moira's lovely tribute to children's author Virginia Lee Burton at The Skeins for a while now. I'd love to see the documentary Moira mentions.

...Royalty Watch: The Duchess of Cambridge's favorite photo of Prince George from their recent trip Down Under is my favorite, too.

...The Year of Ann Blyth has continued at Another Old Movie Blog, with very interesting posts by Jacqueline on films such as FREE FOR ALL (1949), THUNDER ON THE HILL (1951), SALLY AND SAINT ANNE (1952), and most recently SWELL GUY (1946).

...Coming in June: SPECIAL HEART FAMILY by Fox News anchor Bret Baier. It's an account of his son Paul's journey through numerous heart surgeries and procedures. One hundred percent of the author's proceeds will be donated to nonprofit pediatric heart causes. The book has an official website.

...10 vintage photos of L.A.'s long-gone Pacific Ocean Park can be seen at Boing Boing.

...My thanks to MovieFanFare for recently sharing my review of THE GAMBLER FROM NATCHEZ (1954) with their readers. It stars Dale Robertson and Debra Paget...I'd also like to thank Toby at 50 Westerns From the 50s for the very nice shout-out for my George Montgomery tribute at ClassicFlix.

...Sergio provides interesting background on THE WHOLE TRUTH (1959), starring Stewart Granger, George Sanders, and Donna Reed, at Tipping My Fedora. I really enjoyed that one and would like to watch it again at some point.

...Recently released by the Warner Archive: THE CHILDREN NOBODY WANTED (1981), a TV-movie which was one of Michelle Pfeiffer's earliest roles. I remember it as being a good film. It also starred Fredric Lehne who was in the fondly remembered TV-movie COWARD OF THE COUNTY (1981) that year.

...Attention Southern Californians: "Every Summer Outdoor Movie Screening in L.A., Now in One Calendar."

...Notable Passing: TV Actress-Director Nancy Malone has passed on at 79.

Have a great week!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

Thank you for the mention, Laura.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older