Monday, June 02, 2014

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...Thanks to Glenn Erickson at DVD Savant for his kind words and link to my site in the footnote to his review of Twilight Time's new Blu-ray edition of FATE IS THE HUNTER (1964). I reviewed the movie three years ago.

...Speaking of DVD Savant, did you know there are two versions of RED RIVER (1948)? There's an original version that runs about six minutes longer than the theatrical release. Glenn Erickson has all the details. Both versions are included in the new Criterion Collection release. Hopefully Barnes & Noble will have their annual half-price sale next month; I hope to purchase it then!

...Please visit my overview of the 2014 TCM Classic Film Festival at the ClassicFlix site.

...The 25% off summer sale has started at Deep Discount and runs through June 16th. Marked items can be purchased on sale using the code BIGSALE.

...Prince Albert of Monaco and his wife Charlene have announced they are expecting their first child at the end of the year. The baby will be the grandchild of the late Princess Grace, aka actress Grace Kelly.

...I've seen a number of Lippert productions in recent months, so I was very interested in Toby's review of the new book TALK'S CHEAP, ACTION'S EXPENSIVE: THE FILMS OF ROBERT L. LIPPERT. The book was written by Mark Thomas McGee and published by Bear Manor Media.

...A brief tribute to the very special Teresa Wright may be found at the Self-Styled Siren's site.

...Here's the official website of the SOUND OF MUSIC 7.

...Union Station in Los Angeles, where many movies were filmed, is now 75 years old.

...In my review of THE ROUNDUP (1941) last weekend I mentioned I didn't think Richard Dix would ever be my favorite actor...but as I also mentioned in the comments, somehow he keeps turning up in movies I want to see! Maybe there's something to him at that... A case in point is IT HAPPENED IN HOLLYWOOD (1937) which Cliff wrote about a few weeks ago at Immortal Ephemera. My dad really liked this one also. Fay Wray costars.

...Mentor's Camper also sings the praises of Richard Dix.

...Here's Leonard Maltin on the film book FIVE CAME BACK by Mark Harris, which is on my Summer Reading List.

...Reading Rainbow is coming back in a web version thanks to a hugely successful Kickstarter campaign by star Levar Burton. The original series ran from 1983 to 2006. Mary Katharine Ham mixes nostalgia and political philosophy in her article "Reading Rainbow is just a word for stuff we do together, without the government."

...Speaking of books, the famous London bookstore Foyles is moving after 85 years. Fortunately it's just heading down street a little. The new location will be at 107 Charing Cross Road.

...I really enjoyed Jeff's take on THE BIG COUNTRY (1958) at THE STALKING MOON. I haven't seen it in years and ordered the Blu-ray. For the most part I feel no need to repurchase films in my DVD collection on Blu-ray, but that movie's one of the fairly small number of exceptions.

...Paul Walker's brothers have done stand-in work to help complete FAST & FURIOUS 7 (2015). Rumor has it one of the brothers will be added to the cast of the next film in a new role.

...Royalty Watch: King Juan Carlos of Spain has announced his intention to abdicate in favor of his son, Prince Felipe. In the '70s Juan Carlos established a Constitutional monarchy and democratic elections after the death of dictator Francisco Franco, but the king's popularity has faded in recent years for varied reasons. Felipe and his wife Letizia have two young daughters, Leonor and Sofia.

...Sydney Taylor's classic ALL-OF-A-KIND FAMILY books are being reissued. They were great favorites of mine which I reread many times growing up.

...TCM's Scott McGee recently answered questions at the Silver Screen Oasis. I had the chance to chat with Scott at this year's TCM Classic Film Festival; he's a great guy.

...A July 3rd screening of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (1981) at the Hollywood Forever cemetery has already sold out. That would certainly be a unique place to see a movie.

Have a great week!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Flugel said...

Thank you, Laura, for the kind plug for my THE BIG COUNTRY post. I hope you enjoy the Blu-Ray edition!

5:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea Foyles bookshop in London was moving. It's a huge shop in Charing Cross Road and I always love visiting the cinema section..
So pleased it's not closing.

12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older