Tuesday, May 27, 2014

My 2014 Summer Classic Film Book Reading List

Last summer I very much enjoyed participating in the Raquel's Summer Reading Classic Film Book Challenge sponsored at Out of the Past.

The challenge motivated to me to make time to read several books on my "to read" list.

Raquel is again hosting a summer reading challenge this year and has invited participants to share their reading lists. The goal is to read half a dozen books by September 1st.

Here's my list for this summer!

First up is JOHN WAYNE: THE LIFE AND LEGEND by Scott Eyman. I just finished reading this excellent book, and a review will be up shortly. (Update: Here's the review!)


Next is DANGEROUS RHYTHM: WHY MOVIE MUSICALS MATTER by Scott Barrios, author of A SONG IN THE DARK. (Update: Here is the review of DANGEROUS RHYTHM.)


John Mills' STILL MEMORIES: AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY IN PHOTOGRAPHY recently arrived and looks absolutely fascinating. It's filled with photographs of the Mills family with everyone from Vivien Leigh (godmother to his daughter Juliet) to Stewart Granger to Walt Disney. (Update: Here is my review of STILL MEMORIES.)


I stumbled across a mention of THE YEARS OF GEORGE MONTGOMERY earlier this year and promptly ordered it. I was really wowed by what I saw flipping through this large book when it arrived, but I have yet to actually sit down and read it. I plan to rectify that this summmer! (Update: Here is my review of THE YEARS OF GEORGE MONTGOMERY.)


I first saw FIVE CAME BACK: A STORY OF HOLLYWOOD AND THE SECOND WORLD WAR by Mark Harris in the TCM Boutique during the TCM Classic Film Festival. I just ordered it recently. Since movie making of the WWII era is a favorite subject, I expect this book should be fascinating. (Update: Here is my review of FIVE CAME BACK.)


Over the last few years I've seen many films directed by Jacques Tourneur, and I think I've liked -- or loved -- all of them. Wanting to learn more about the man and his movies, I purchased JACQUES TOURNEUR: THE CINEMA OF NIGHTFALL by Chris Fujiwara. (Update: My review of JACQUES TOURNEUR: THE CINEMA OF NIGHTFALL is here.)


If you'd like to participate in the reading challenge, there's a form at Raquel's blog to sign up, and there's also instructions on submitting links to completed book reviews.

Thanks to Raquel for hosting the challenge for the second year in a row, and happy reading!

4 Comments:

Blogger Jerry E said...

Great idea, Laura. Thanks for bring this to our attention. I have several movie books on the shelf currently awaiting reading.
One I did not know about was "The Years Of George Montgomery". Thanks for the tip!!

10:26 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

The Montgomery book is marvelous, Jerry, filled with photos of his rural childhood, movie posters, fan magazine articles, and lots of photos of his sculptures and art.

It's a great reading goal, whether people formally sign up or just follow through on your own! :)

Best wishes,
Laura

1:10 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Grace Foley said...

Five Came Back is on my summer reading list as well. I read the sample chapters on Kindle and found them fascinating, so I'm going to check it out of the library soon.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I hope you'll share your thoughts on the book when you finish it, Elisabeth -- if you write about it please share the link with us!

Best wishes,
Luara

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older