Sunday, September 18, 2016

Charmian Carr, 1942-2016

I'm greatly saddened to share the news that Charmian Carr of THE SOUND OF MUSIC (1965) has passed away at the age of 73.


The news was announced on Charmian's official website. It was later confirmed on Twitter by Charmian's youngest SOUND OF MUSIC sister, Kym Karath, who wrote "It is with infinite sadness that I share the tragic news that the precious & exquisite Charmian Carr, beautiful Liesl, has passed away."

And from Nicholas Hammond, who played Friedrich: "May she rest in peace. And forever dance around the gazebo."


20th Century-Fox, which released THE SOUND OF MUSIC, Tweeted from its official account: "The Sound of Music lost a beloved member of the family w/ the passing of Charmian Carr. She will be forever missed."


This is a particularly sad loss for me, as over the course of my life THE SOUND OF MUSIC has meant more to me than any other film. One of the wonderful things about Charmian was that she recognized and celebrated how special the movie was to so many people, including in her book LETTERS TO LIESL.


I'm very grateful I had the chance to meet her four years ago (seen below). When I told her, as quickly as I could, how many happy experiences I'd had seeing the film, you would have thought I was the first person who had ever said that to her, when she must have heard it thousands of times over. She never stopped being grateful or happy that the movie had positively impacted so many people's lives.


Charmian was lovely in the film, and she was clearly a wonderful person off the screen as well. I will always be so appreciative of Charmian's marvelous contributions to a film which has brought my family and myself endless joy.

Update: From the "Sound of Music 7" Twitter account, the official account shared by the "Von Trapp Children": "Charmian Carr was a shining light in our lives for more than fifty years. We will always love her and feel grateful to have been loved by her. Charmian Carr was and always will be our older sister, both in the eyes of the public and in life."

Update: A tribute from Ted Chapin and the Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization.

Update: Here is the obituary from the Los Angeles Times.

December 2017 Update: Heather Menzies, 1949-2017.

February 2021 Update: Farewell to Captain von Trapp.

2 Comments:

Blogger DKoren said...

Aw, this is so sad. She was such a part of my childhood influences.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

For sure. So very sorry she has left us.

Best wishes,
Laura

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older