Saturday, January 05, 2019

What is a Western? Film Series at the Autry

I'd like to alert my readers in Southern California to two terrific Western screenings coming up at the The Autry.

On Saturday, January 12th, film historian Jeremy Arnold will be hosting a 35mm screening of the marvelous Jacques Tourneur Western CANYON PASSAGE (1946).

CANYON PASSAGE stars Dana Andrews, Susan Hayward, Brian Donlevy, and a marvelous, deep cast; it also features gorgeous Technicolor cinematography, some of it filmed on location in Oregon. There's much more on the film in my 2013 review.

CANYON PASSAGE is being shown as part of the Autry's ongoing film series "What is a Western?"

My husband and I have tickets. I'm very excited to finally see this film on the big screen, and I'm also glad to get back to attending films at the Autry for the first time since seeing SHANE (1953) a few years ago.

Jeremy will also host a 35mm screening of one of the best films Randolph Scott made with director Budd Boetticher, THE TALL T (1957), at the Autry on Saturday, February 16th.

THE TALL T costars Maureen O'Sullivan and Richard Boone, as one of the most interesting Western villains ever. THE TALL T also has terrific location shooting, which took place in the Alabama Hills outside Lone Pine, California.

Jeremy did a terrific commentary track for another Randolph Scott-Budd Boetticher film, RIDE LONESOME (1959), so I'm especially hoping to see THE TALL T as well.

I highly recommend attending this pair of screenings.

Update: Weekend Movie Fun: Canyon Passage (1946) at the Autry (and Philippe's!); Weekend Movie Fun: Out and About in L.A.

4 Comments:

Blogger Caftan Woman said...

This series sounds entertaining and edifying. Wish I could be there. Look forward to your accounts.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Walter S. said...

Laura, THE TALL T(1957) is my personal favorite Randolph Scott Western Movie. It would be a joy to see it on the big screen. Enjoy.

6:59 PM  
Blogger barrylane said...

The Tall T was enarly perfect in a long line of fine Randolph Scott films. Just for the fun of it; Western Union, Ride The High Country, Last of the Mohicans, Virginia City, Pittsburgh, Abilene Town, Fighting Man of The Plains,Man In The Saddle, Hangman's Knot, Tall Man Riding (up until the final moments), Seven Men From Now, Comanche Station and Ride Lonesome. Enough!

7:41 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I wish you could be there too, Caftan Woman!

Walter, that's great it's your favorite! I haven't seen THE TALL T for quite a while and hope I can catch it there.

Barrylane, that is such a great list of enjoyable Randolph Scott films. I've seen most of them and need to make it a point to catch up with those I haven't!

Best wishes,
Laura

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older