Tuesday, January 07, 2020

Tonight's Movie: The Bells of St. Mary's (1945) - An Olive Signature Blu-ray Review

Bing Crosby and Ingrid Bergman star in the classic THE BELLS OF ST. MARY'S (1945), recently released in a lovely Blu-ray edition by Olive Films.

I saw THE BELLS OF ST. MARY'S and its prequel, GOING MY WAY (1944), as a teenager but somehow I haven't managed to see either film again in all the years since. There's no particular reason -- indeed, I like the stars very much -- so I was glad that Olive's release gave me the impetus to finally sit down and watch THE BELLS OF ST. MARY'S. I've got a copy of GOING MY WAY in my "watch" stack and hope to see it soon!

THE BELLS OF ST. MARY'S finds Father O'Malley (Crosby) newly assigned as priest at a rundown parish school, St. Mary's. It's possible St. Mary's will be closed, but school head Sister Mary Benedict (Bergman) has a determined belief that the school will be saved; specifically, she is praying for something which seems improbable, that Mr. Bogardus (Henry Travers), the developer who wants to buy St. Mary's and raze it, will instead gift them his building next door.

The movie rolls gently along for its 126 minutes as Father and Sister help lonely young Patsy (the excellent Joan Carroll of MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS), who is troubled by her single mother's lifestyle, and Eddie (Dickie Tyler), who is being bullied. One by one issues are resolved...and then Father O'Malley learns that Sister Benedict needs treatment for tuberculosis.

Some of the situations in the film are treated fairly simplistically, particularly the perhaps too easy reunion of Patsy's parents (Martha Sleeper and William Gargan). And the initial lack of communication regarding Sister Benedict's diagnosis is mind-blowing to a modern viewer, with the doctor (Rhys Williams) handling her condition with Father O'Malley rather than directly with the Sister herself; that said, I've seen similar things in other films of the era. Medical privacy doesn't seem to have been a concept in the '40s, or at least in '40s movies!

But what the movie at times lacks in depth or good medical ethics is more than made up for with pure likability, thanks especially to the two leads. I grew up, of course, watching Bing Crosby in his TV specials and movies, including one of my all-time favorite films, WHITE CHRISTMAS (1954), but with the passage of time he strikes me more and more as pure genius. His screen persona here is absolutely compelling, and that's before he ever even opens his mouth to sing.

Bergman is positively ethereal in this, and it's not simply due to the way she was filmed by cinematographer George Barnes. She glows with beauty, despite most of her body being hidden under a nun's habit. The moment when Sister Benedict almost wills Mr. Bogardus to tell her some good news was one of the most moving things I've recently seen in a movie.

Besides the pleasures of watching Crosby and Bergman -- one or both are on screen most of the movie -- there's something simply very peaceful about watching this film, which by way of positive example encourages those of its audience who are of faith to emulate Father O'Malley and Sister Benedict, praying and placing trust in God. It's a movie which leaves the viewer feeling better than when it started.

In fact, I couldn't help but remember that when George Bailey returns to Bedford Falls in IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (1946), THE BELLS OF ST. MARY'S is playing at the theater. That seems so appropriate, and it's also rather amusing that Henry Travers from THE BELLS OF ST. MARY'S was Clarence the Angel in IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.

THE BELLS OF ST. MARY'S was directed by Leo McCarey. The supporting cast includes Ruth Donnelly, Una O'Connor, and Edna May Wonacott (SHADOW OF A DOUBT).

Olive's beautiful Blu-ray print was mastered from a new 4K restoration. The soundtrack is also excellent.

Olive has outdone itself with a collection of excellent extras, beginning with a commentary track by highly esteemed Crosby biographer Gary Giddins. There are also multiple featurettes, a pair of radio productions, and a glossy booklet with photos and an essay by Abbey Bender.

Recommended.

Thanks to Olive Films for providing a review copy of this Blu-ray.

3 Comments:

Blogger Net - "It's a Wonderful Movie" said...

This is such a wonderful post, Laura!

Oh, I love-love-love "THE BELLS OF ST. MARY'S!" I missed seeing it when TCM played it this Christmas! What a beautiful, heartfelt movie. The children are fantastic, plus Bing Crosby and Ingrid Bergman! It is a simplistic story, but it has such a warm feel to it.

I love that you mentioned that it is seen on the marquee in "It's a Wonderful Life." I always take notice of that and wonder why that film was chosen to be displayed there. I think it must be, as you said, because "THE BELLS OF ST. MARY'S" is pure, inspirational, and leaves us feeling better, just like "It's a Wonderful Life!"

Thank you for sharing details on this wonderful, beloved classic! I'll have to pull out my DVD and watch it again - sometime!

Blessings in the New Year! Net

9:13 AM  
Blogger Hamlette (Rachel) said...

I loved this movie when I was a teen, but have only watched it once as an adult. I do like Olive Films' transfers, so I think it's time I seek this out and introduce my kids to it.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Net and Hamlette!

Thanks so much for your comments!

It was so enjoyable revisiting this film, I'm glad to know you have good memories of it as well. Hamlette, I hope you'll enjoy sharing this new Olive release with your family. It's lovely!

Net, I think the next time I see IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE it will feel extra-special when I see that theater marquee. :)

Best wishes and Happy New Year,
Laura

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older