Saturday, February 15, 2020

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...Brand-new from McFarland: RAY MILLAND: THE FILMS, 1929-1984 by James McKay, author of THE FILMS OF VICTOR MATURE.

...It was announced during last weekend's Oscar ceremony that the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures will finally open December 14, 2020. (Meanwhile, it also made the news that the museum is $100 million over budget!) We are charter museum members and were informed last week that our membership would extend through April 2022 due to the significant delays in the museum opening. I hope to take a member preview tour of the museum prior to the opening.

...Due out from the Criterion Collection on May 19th: DANCE, GIRL, DANCE (1940) starring Maureen O'Hara and Lucille Ball, directed by Dorothy Arzner.

...Kino Lorber has announced a 4K restoration of the Harry Carey (Sr.) Western STRAIGHT SHOOTING (1917), "coming soon" to Blu-ray. STRAIGHT SHOOTING was directed by John Ford.

...Gene Autry's former Palm Springs estate is for sale...take a photo tour. Love the pool.

...Myriad items once owned by another former Palm Springs resident, Loretta Young, will be sold in an online auction on February 17th.

...The website TV By the Numbers recently closed down.

...Coming in September from Jeff Kurtti, Vanessa Hunt, and Paul Wolski: THE DISNEY MONORAIL: IMAGINEERING A HIGHWAY IN THE SKY. That will be a pre-order "buy" for me!

...Thanks to longtime reader Seth for passing on some interesting links this week, including this CBS Sunday Morning segment on movie backdrops. I especially loved seeing the backdrop from one of my favorite movies, THE SOUND OF MUSIC (1965). I wish the related book THE ART OF THE HOLLYWOOD BACKDROP wasn't so pricey...

...Seth also sent another CBS Sunday Morning segment about a little theater in Washington State which was struggling to stay open, but thousands of people have rallied to help keep the doors open on GoFundMe. Thanks again for sharing these, Seth!

...I was amused that my 2014 review of Tyrone Power's PONY SOLDIER (1952) received lots of traffic last week due to a politician using that term. I won't say more since this is a politics-free zone, but I hope everyone who Googled it enjoyed learning about the movie!

...There's a new America's Test Kitchen cookbook due out in April: 100 TECHNIQUES: MASTER A LIFETIME OF COOKING SKILLS, FROM BASIC TO BUCKET LIST.

...My favorite non-Disney cartoon characters, Tom and Jerry, turned 80 on February 10th!

...Turner Classic Movies announced a 24-hour tribute to Kirk Douglas will take place on March 5th, a few days after the March 2nd conclusion of the channel's 31 Days of Oscar programming.

...Attention Southern Californians: I'm repeating a bit of news for anyone who may have missed it in my February 1st roundup: The 1933 version of LITTLE WOMEN will be screened in 35mm at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood next Sunday afternoon, February 23rd. It's a movie I love so I want to be sure to spread the word!

...Notable Passing: Dancer-Actress Paula Kelly, who appeared in SWEET CHARITY (1969), has died at 77.

...For additional links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my February 8th roundup.

Have a great week!

6 Comments:

Blogger barrylane said...

Re Dance, Girl, Dance. The Criterion people have the billing wrong, Louis hayward comes after Maureen and ahead of Lucille. O'Hara wrote about her experience and views in her autobiography; She found it negative.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Interesting how marketers will change the billing based on who they perceive is currently a "name"...even "back in the day" re-release posters would sometimes having the billing changed, as I'm sure you know.

I reviewed the film a decade ago but confess to remembering little about it. Hope to give it a fresh look via Criterion.

Best wishes,
Laura

9:09 PM  
Blogger barrylane said...

Not just billing, because Lucy has more currency, and she is excellent in the film, which was a critical and financial failure of serious proportions at the time of release. Of all things, the Wikipedia page is excellent, quoting contemporary reviews, all negative, to modern critical opinions, all positive. I think there is a little social justice stuff at work in this , but my personal disappointment is that after House By The River, another failure in Louis' filmography is getting the blu ray treatment, and not, say, Man In The Iron Mask, a truly fine and successful picture.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Margot Shelby said...

I've had my eye on the book The Art of the Hollywood Backdrop too for a while now. But not at that price.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Seth said...

I'm glad you enjoyed those CBS Sunday Morning pieces (as I suspected you would!)

I haven't preordered it yet, but I've had my eye on that monorail book since discovering it by chance on Amazon a few months ago. That new cover art looks quite smart, and at 200 pages, it should be a thorough look at the subject. Plus, its price has dropped a bit since I first found it, which certainly can't be said for BACKDROP. (Incidentally, BACKDROP's price doesn't hold a candle to another monorail book I've been jonesing for: MONORAILS: TRAINS OF THE FUTURE-NOW ARRIVING, by the late Kim Pedersen, founder of the Monorail Society. Don't drink anything while looking that up on Amazon.)

Now I'm off to read your PONY SOLDIER review....

1:43 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Barrylane, I would really love to have a film like MAN IN THE IRON MASK released on Blu-ray.

Margot, I keep hoping maybe the BACKDROP book will be reprinted as a less expensive paperback or something...

Seth, I took a look at the listing for MONORAILS book you referred to and appreciate the warning or I would have spilled my coffee (LOL). Wow! Looks fascinating. With names like Kurtti and Hunt involved I'm sure the new Monorail book will be excellent. And thank you again for those CBS Sunday Morning videos!

Best wishes,
Laura

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older