Saturday, March 27, 2021

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...In January I shared the news that Kino Lorber Studio Classics would be releasing THE WEB (1947) on Blu-ray. This is particularly exciting as the movie has never had a DVD or VHS release. Kino Lorber has now firmed up the release date; it will be available on July 13th. Extras include a commentary track by Jason A. Ney.

...Kino Lorber has also announced the July release of ALIAS JESSE JAMES (1959) starring Bob Hope and Rhonda Fleming, plus cameo appearances by numerous Western stars.

...News has slipped in of another April release from the Warner Archive: A Blu-ray reissue of MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY (1935).

...Great news from Toby at 50 Westerns From the 50s: Mill Creek is releasing a 12-film, 6-disc Blu-ray set, The Randolph Scott Collection. It's due out in June. I suspect Scott and Western fans will already have many or all of these titles on DVD and may not feel the need to upgrade -- they're available in two previous DVD sets labeled The Randolph Scott Round-Up -- but if nothing else, this Blu-ray release means even more people will watch and come to love Scott's Westerns.

...The decision has finally been made on this year's most anticipated Marvel movie, BLACK WIDOW (2021), which was held over from 2020: The release date has been pushed back from May to July to allow as many people as possible to see it theatrically, ostensibly after many more potential audience members have been vaccinated; the film will simultaneously stream on Disney+ for a $30 Premier Access fee.

...The BLACK WIDOW date change means that Marvel's SHANG-CHI AND THE LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS (2021) moves to a new September date, with THE ETERNALS (2021) and SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME (2021) holding to their November and December release dates. Among other changes, I was disappointed to learn that Disney's animated film LUCA (2021) will not play in theaters at all but will instead debut on Disney+ in June for no extra charge. Among other news, Kenneth Branagh's version of DEATH ON THE NILE (2022), originally due out last fall, has been pushed all the way to next February.

...For cookbook fans: Coming this November is THE COOKIE BIBLE by Rose Levy Beranbaum, author of THE BAKING BIBLE and several other baking-themed titles. Her book ROSE'S CHRISTMAS COOKIES is in my collection.

...And for "kidlit" fans: A new biography of Sydney Taylor, author of the ALL-OF-A-KIND FAMILY books, is coming from Yale University Press this summer. FROM SARAH TO SYDNEY: THE WOMAN BEHIND ALL-OF-A-KIND FAMILY was written by June Cummins with Alexandra Dunietz.

...I enjoyed this interview with the woman who worked as Ginger Rogers' assistant for 18 years. It's always nice when one reads positive things about an admired actor.

...It's been announced that original cast members James Marsden and Idina Menzel will join Amy Adams and Patrick Dempsey in a Disney+ sequel to ENCHANTED (2007). Given that ENCHANTED is one of my favorite Disney films, I'm cautiously interested, yet anxious they don't mess it up...

...Following the recent last "4 for $44" sale, the WBShop is currently holding a "Close-Out Sale." It strikes me as curious that Warner Bros. or the Warner Archive have not yet announced whether Warner Archive discs will be sold from a new online shop, or only available at previously existing retailers going forward. It seems to me that communication with the line's loyal purchasers would be a good idea at this juncture.

...At A Classic Movie Blog KC reviews a trio of musicals recently released on Blu-ray by the Warner Archive Collection.

...I always enjoy checking out the latest reviews at Classic Movie Ramblings, which often include relatively obscure British films. (I bought SUSPECTED PERSON thanks to a review there; now I just need to make time to watch it!) Recent reviews include SNOWBOUND (1948) and THE OCTOBER MAN (1947) which have interesting casts.

...Streaming at Classic Movie Hub's Facebook page on April 5th: "Growing Up Hollywood," featuring Alan K. Rode chatting with William Wellman Jr. (son of William and Dorothy Coonan Wellman) and Victoria Riskin (daughter of Robert Riskin and Fay Wray). Having been fortunate to hear both Wellman and Riskin speak on many occasions, I'm sure it will be an enjoyable and interesting time.

...Attention Southern Californians: The Bowers Museum in Santa Ana has announced another extension of the Inside the Walt Disney Archives exhibit, which was shut down most of the last year due to COVID. It will now be available through June 20th. It had previously been extended through April.

...And from TimeOut Los Angeles, here's a list of Southern California drive-in theater options.

...Hollywood's Amoeba Music record store, closed for the past year, has announced it will reopen on April 1st in a new Hollywood Boulevard location, across from the Pantages Theatre. It was previously located at the intersection of Sunset Boulevard and Cahuenga Boulevard.

...Notable Passings: I was extremely sorry to learn of the passing of actor Richard Gilliland at the age of 71. A busy working TV actor, I especially enjoyed him as Laurie in LITTLE WOMEN (1978), seen here, and as Mary Ellen's second husband, Jonesy, late in the run of THE WALTONS. He was married to actress Jean Smart; they met on the set of DESIGNING WOMEN, in which he had a recurring role as J.D. Shackelford...Actress Jessica Walter has passed away at the age of 80. Perhaps best known for her many TV roles, she was also in a number of films, including GRAND PRIX (1966) and PLAY MISTY FOR ME (1971)...Former child actor Kim Tyler, who was one of the children on TV's PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES (1965-67), has died at 66.

...More Notable Passings: In recent months some key personnel from Disneyland history have passed on. Jim Cora, who began at Disneyland in 1957 and was with the company for 43 years, has died at 83. He retired as chairman of Disney International and was named a Disney Legend in 2005...Famed children's author Beverly Cleary has passed away, a couple weeks short of her 105th birthday.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my March 20th roundup.

3 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

I feel the same way as you do about "Enchanted"!

With regards to all the movie's being shuffled around, one movie I don't hear about as much is "Jungle Cruise". It's one I have been looking forward to. I have seen (only by digging for it) the dates July 24 and July 30. Have you seen or heard anything?

I am still waiting to get my second shot before I venture out to a theater but I sure am looking forward to going. I do enjoy watching my Disney + movies at home but sometimes you have to just see certain movies on the big screen.

Thank you again for all the links you post on your Twitter page. I swear I wouldn't know about the half the stuff if it wasn't for you! After reading some of the links to the inadequacies of the statements by Megan and Harry, I have decided not to watch the Oprah interview which I recorded on my DVR.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Irene! So nice to hear from you, and glad you've started the vaccine process! I'm also in between shots. :)

I agree, I watch most movies at home and enjoy Disney+, but there's just nothing like a big screen! I'm glad that it shouldn't be a problem to see BLACK WIDOW in a theater, between vaccinations and the new July release date.

The latest date I have for JUNGLE CRUISE is July 30th. I'm hoping that's a fun one! (I keep a "cheat sheat" of upcoming release dates for films I'm interested in at my desk and can't tell you how many times I've had to completely overhaul it...I'm sure you can imagine.)

I'm delighted to know you've found interesting info on my Twitter feed. (You may have noticed that one of the things I'm trying to do is Tweet when So. CA attractions reopen, to help get the word out!) I had high hopes for Harry and Meghan when they married but yeah...I think they have issues. Most of all it seems clear to me that she never intended to give being a "working royal" a fair shot...when she could have had a platform to do great good. If you deduct her maternity leave, it was only a matter of months before she quit. A disappointment.

We'll cross our fingers for the ENCHANTED sequel! I think I have my guard up in part as I don't care for the negative working title, DISENCHANTED.

Best wishes,
Laura

3:20 PM  
Blogger Hamlette (Rachel) said...

Thanks for the updates on release dates. Sigh. Sometimes I feel like I'll NEVER get to see Death on the Nile.

So sad to have lost Beverly Cleary. But what an amazing legacy she has left us <3

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older