Saturday, June 05, 2021

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...New Kino Lorber Blu-ray announcements include a trio of W.C. Fields films due out this fall, with three more coming in 2022, and OUT OF SIGHT (1998) with George Clooney and Jennifer Lopez, which is said to be "coming soon." I reviewed the latter film here in 2009 and am curious to take another look.

...I've never seen FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH (1982); Glenn Erickson's review of the new Criterion Collection release makes me wonder if I should try it sometime.

...I enjoyed 4 Star Films on DRIVE A CROOKED ROAD (1954) with Mickey Rooney, Dianne Foster, Jack Kelly, and Kevin McCarthy. A film I need to see!

...Many thanks to my friend Mel for sending this link to a new Smithsonian article on Disney's ONE HUNDRED AND ONE DALMATIANS (1961).

...Glenn Erickson also linked to a new Dick Dinman podcast discussing ANNIE GET YOUR GUN (1950) with longtime Warner Archive exec George Feltenstein. I reviewed the new Blu-ray release here last weekend.

...Speaking of ANNIE GET YOUR GUN, in the mail to me is a DVD of a 1957 TV production of the show starring Mary Martin and longtime personal favorite John Raitt. There's also a CD.

...I recently learned that Reel Vault has put out a DVD of THE NINTH GUEST (1934), which I saw at the Noir City Film Festival in 2015. I suspect the print is along the lines of something from YouTube, rather than the beautiful 35mm print I saw, but FYI for anyone who's interested! Genevieve Tobin and Donald Cook star.

...The New Beverly Cinema in Los Angeles reopened on June 1st.

...On my wish list: GAS AND GLAMOUR: ROADSIDE ARCHITECTURE IN LOS ANGELES by Ashok Sinha, published last year. Here's an article from Los Angeles Magazine.

...Notable Passings: Arlene Golonka, a familiar face on television for decades, including on MAYBERRY R.F.D. (1968-71), has passed away at 85...Clint Eastwood's stuntman Buddy Van Horn, who also directed three films, including ANY WHICH WAY YOU CAN (1980), has died at 92...Actor Robert Hogan, another busy working TV actor, has passed on at 87...Singer-Songwriter B.J. Thomas has died at 78. He notably sang Burt Bacharach and Hal David's "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" in BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID (1969). My favorite of his recordings was "Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song."

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my May 29th roundup.

2 Comments:

Blogger dfordoom said...

I you haven't seen DRIVE A CROOKED ROAD it's a movie I recommend very highly. Mickey Rooney really was a fine actor when he put his mind to it. I like him a lot in noirish roles.

As for W.C. Fields, has there ever been a funnier movie than THE BANK DICK?

11:18 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you for the recommendation of DRIVE A CROOKED ROAD! I have a copy and look forward to it. It's especially fun as I met Rooney's costar Jack Kelly a couple of times and know Dianne Foster's son from several encounters in a medical setting (he's an oral surgeon).

Best wishes,
Laura

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older