Thursday, June 15, 2023

Tonight's Movie: Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)

Last night I saw Hayao Miyazaki's KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE (1989) for the first time thanks to the Studio Ghibli Fest 2023.

The annual festival is hosted by Fathom Events at various movie theaters, including my local Cinemark Theatre. Earlier this year I revisited my favorite Miyazaki film, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO (1988), thanks to Fathom Events.

As is always the case with Japanese animation, I chose a screening in the film's original language, with English subtitles.

I'm happy to report I absolutely loved KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE, which immediately zoomed into position as my second-favorite Miyazaki film, right behind MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO.

TOTORO and KIKI are each magical stories, and they also each share a gently reassuring and sunny quality emphasizing people "being there" for one another. I found each film a wonderfully positive viewing experience. I've seen TOTORO multiple times in the last few years and am sure I'll be watching KIKI again as well.

As the movie begins, 13-year-old Kiki (Minami Takayama) announces to her parents that it's time for her to leave home. You see, Kiki is a witch and it's a traditional rite of passage to leave home at 13, find a new place, become independent and spend a year growing in your craft.

Kiki takes off on her broomstick with her black cat Jiji (Rei Sakuma) and decides to settle in a coastal town. While seeing a witch flying around isn't an everyday thing, the townspeople aren't very shocked by it either. They've heard of such things.

Kiki struggles to find a place at first but then kindly Osono (Keiko Toda), who runs a bakery with her husband, offers Kiki a room in return for help at the bakery. Osono also suggests that Kiki could develop her own business using her flying ability.

As time goes on Kiki makes additional friends, but she becomes unsettled when her powers seem to be fading...

This fantasy is unusual right from the start, as the viewer is invited into a world where a little girl matter-of-factly decides it's the right day to leave home, and her parents encourage it.  She has no specific plans, just a few dollars saved up and a sandwich packed for the journey.

There are many delightful things about the movie, but my favorite thing has to be the black cat Jiji, who is absolutely hilarious start to finish.  I can see a Jiji mug in my future...

When Kiki has trouble communicating with Jiji late in the film, it made me think of Annabel Banks in P.L. Travers' MARY POPPINS books; she's no longer able to talk to birds once she turns two.

I found that interesting as I also noticed some MARY POPPINS allusions in the previous year's MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO.  I'm assuming it's possible Travers' work provided some inspirations, along with other classic stories.

The film's visual design is outstanding. Kiki leaves home with her father's red transistor radio hanging off her broom; the pop of color made me think of a red tea kettle in an Ozu film.

Kiki also sports a bright red hair bow, which helps offset her drab dress. When Kiki sighs over the dress her mother matter-of-factly tells her the dark color is tradition.

In addition to directing Hayao Miyazaki wrote the screenplay, inspired by a novel by Eiko Kadono. The film runs a well-paced 103 minutes.

This movie is rated G.

KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE is available on Blu-ray and DVD as well as in a Blu-ray/DVD combo pack.

The voice cast of the English-language version includes Kirsten Dunst and Debbie Reynolds. That said, I strongly recommend that anyone able to read subtitles watch the original version. I find the Japanese language quite musical.

Previous reviews of Miyazaki films: CASTLE IN THE SKY (1986), MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO (1988), HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE (2004), and THE WIND RISES (2013).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older