Saturday, June 17, 2023

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...ClassicFlix has announced plans to release a restored print of THE PROUD REBEL (1958) on Blu-ray and DVD. THE PROUD REBEL is a wonderful film starring Alan Ladd, his son David, and Olivia de Havilland. Extras will include a commentary track by Alan K. Rode and a featurette with Alan interviewing David Ladd. The print will be a "4K scan of an IB Tech print." The ClassicFlix site says: "It has some inherent flaws, but will be, by far, the best presentation of this beloved western once we're done restoring it."

...HI DIDDLE DIDDLE (1943), starring Dennis O'Keefe and Martha Scott, has just been released by ClassicFlix on DVD and Blu-ray.

...John McElwee of Greenbriar Picture Shows was as enthused about the new KING SOLOMON'S MINES (1950) Blu-ray as I was: "I knew KING SOLOMON'S MINES would be a reclaimed glory, but to such an extent?"

...Glenn Erickson's latest CineSavant reviews for Trailers From Hell include SAFE IN HELL (1931), SEARCH FOR BEAUTY (1934), and THE GREAT GATSBY (1949). GATSBY, starring Alan Ladd, is a release from Australia's Viavision Imprint. I've loved it at Noir City festivals and very much hope that it will soon be released on Blu-ray in the U.S.

...At Hamlette's Soliloquy Rachel recently reviewed WHERE EAGLE DARE (1968). That's one I need to check out, especially as I've very gradually been working on filling in my Clint Eastwood viewing.

...Here's a review of Pixar's new ELEMENTAL (2023) by Katie Walsh of the L.A. Times. I hope to see it in the next few days.

...TV viewers of a certain age will probably enjoy seeing these photos of a cast reunion for TV's DALLAS (1978-91).

...Last week Disney announced plans to bring 28 restored Disney cartoons to Disney+. Cartoon Brew has all the details.

...In my mailbox yesterday: The Warner Archive Collection's new Looney Tunes Collector's Choice Volume 1 Blu-ray. It's currently a great price on Amazon!

...Karie Bible will be introducing Ernst Lubitsch's TROUBLE IN PARADISE (1932) at the Old Town Music Hall in El Segundo on August 13th.

...The Criterion Collection's September releases will include the Ritchie Valens biopic LA BAMBA (1987).

...I've fallen much more behind than usual answering comments due to traveling every other week for eight weeks this spring and then working on festival and other coverage in between! Every comment is read and very greatly appreciated, and I hope to catch up on answering them all soon...though I do have another short trip upcoming!

...Notable Passings: Treat Williams has died in a motorcycle accident at the age of 71. He was in a great many film, TV, and theater productions over his long career. One production I recall fondly was a TV version of A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE (1984) costarring Ann-Margret and Beverly D'Angelo (seen here). In recent years he has starred on the Hallmark Channel's CHESAPEAKE SHORES (2016-2022)...Oscar-winning actress Glenda Jackson has died at 87. I remember watching her in a rerun of her TV miniseries ELIZABETH R (1971) when I was in high school.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my June 10th roundup.

4 Comments:

Blogger john k said...

Wonderful news about THE PROUD REBEL a film that turns up on UK TV in unwatchable condition even the works in progress clip on your link looks far far superior. More Alan Ladd is always welcome in my collection. Classicflix do great work.
I've been watching some of the recent Kino Lorber Noir collections-they sure keep 'em coming.Watched UNDERCOVER GIRL last night-super entertainment-Alexis Smith and Scott Brady are a great combination-I wish they had done more movies together.

4:19 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi John, great to hear from you! I'm excited about the forthcoming release of THE PROUD REBEL as well. It was great to see Alan Rode interview David Ladd in Palm Springs last month, and I'm looking forward to their talk on the ClassicFlix disc.

I just watched UNDERCOVER GIRL and enjoyed it -- look for a review here in another day or two! Brady has become a real favorite.

Best wishes,
Laura

1:36 PM  
Blogger Toby Roan said...

Where Eagles Dare has been my favorite film since I was 10 years old. Nothing has been able to knock it out of the top slot.

Is it the greatest movie ever made? Of course not. Would I rather watch it for the 173rd time instead of 99.5% of other films out there? Absolutely!

9:26 AM  
Blogger Hamlette (Rachel) said...

Oh my goodness! A restored print of The Proud Rebel is so needed! Wow, we have some marvelous Ladd releases coming up. So exciting.

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older