Saturday, December 04, 2021

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...The latest Warner Archive Collection Blu-ray announcements are SONG OF THE THIN MAN (1947) and STAGE FRIGHT (1950). They'll be released in January. With SONG OF THE THIN MAN, all six THIN MAN films are now available on Blu-ray.

...Toby Roan has reviewed the Warner Archive's new Blu-ray release of THE NAKED SPUR (1953) at 50 Westerns From the 50s. THE NAKED SPUR stars James Stewart, Janet Leigh, and Robert Ryan.

...Ben Pearson writes at SlashFilm about why movie dialogue has often become so difficult to understand.

...VCI Entertainment has announced the release of a Library of Congress restoration of SPARROWS (1926) starring Mary Pickford. It will be released in a combination Blu-ray/DVD set. It will be available December 21st.

...David Derks has written about Disney films directed by Norman Tokar for MiceChat. I've shared in the past that Tokar's SNOWBALL EXPRESS (1972), which starred Dean Jones, holds a special place in my heart.

...Ruth pays tribute to the great character actor Charles Lane at Silver Screenings.

...At Watching Classic Movies KC reviews a new biography of Charles Boyer by John Baxter, just published by the University Press of Kentucky.

...I was intrigued by Jessica's review of a Fred MacMurray-Irene Dunne film I've never seen, INVITATION TO HAPPINESS (1939). The review is available at her blog Comet Over Hollywood.

...Up till now I've been watching IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (1946) on VHS, but thanks to a new review by CineSavant Glenn Erickson, I just ordered a new 75th Anniversary Blu-ray. A big part of my decision to purchase this version is the inclusion of a featurette by Craig Barron and Ben Burtt on the movie's special effects. They did a wonderful presentation at the 2016 TCM Classic Film Festival, and I'm thrilled they've recorded their research on the movie. (PS It makes me smile remembering that I watched the film a few seats over from a gentleman who was the Martinis' baby in the movie!) The set also includes a colorized version of the film which frankly I'll choose to ignore.

...Speaking of IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, Raquel has reviewed the new IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE: THE OFFICIAL BAILEY FAMILY COOKBOOK at her blog Out of the Past.

...Jeff Arnold just published an interesting review of DENVER & RIO GRANDE (1952) at Jeff Arnold's West. I enjoyed the movie a few years ago, especially appreciating the location photography and train crash, but Jeff's enthusiasm is such I'm interested in taking a fresh look to see if I like it even more on closer acquaintance. The excellent cast is headed by Edmond O'Brien and Sterling Hayden.

...I just learned Sissy Spacek's daughter, Schuyler Fisk, is a singer who released a Christmas album a few years ago.

...Notable Passing: Actress-Dancer Yvonne Wilder, who played Consuelo in WEST SIDE STORY (1961), has passed away at 84.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my November 27th roundup.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rick said...

"The set also includes a colorized version of the film which frankly I'll choose to ignore."

Good for you! Mine has been an increasingly minority anti-colorization voice for years. It's good to find another right-thinking person.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Walter S. said...

Rick, I also agree about personally ignoring a colorized version of IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE(1946). I think a movie should be seen as the moviemakers meant for it to be viewed. Although, I realize that real life is in color, but black-and-white movies were designed, lit, shot, and assembled with the intention of being seen in that medium and the moviemakers made their movies with that specific final look in mind.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't watch colorized movies! I strongly object to them -- Walter does a good job outlining some of the reasons.

Best wishes,
Laura

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older