Friday, June 10, 2022

A Visit to Star Wars Celebration

May was quite a "Star Wars" month for our family!


The first week of the month my husband, oldest daughter, and I attended the "Disneyland After Dark" Star Wars Nite, and on Memorial Day Weekend we spent a day at Star Wars Celebration.


Star Wars Celebration is a convention celebrating all aspects of Star Wars. It takes place in a different location each year; it's historically been held at the Anaheim Convention Center every few years.


We originally purchased our tickets in 2019 for 2020, and, well, we all know what happened there...a funny thing is I still received a shipment of the 2020 convention shirt I ordered. I've been stopped multiple times while wearing it, even in the grocery store, by other Star Wars fans wanting to know how it is I have a 2020 Star Wars Celebration shirt, given that the event didn't happen that year!


We arrived for our day bright and early and were soon in the giant queue hall, awaiting entrance to the show floor once it opened. Interesting things on the main show floor included costumes from the new Disney+ series OBI-WAN KENOBI (2022), which we'd watched the night before the convention.


The glass cases weren't very photography friendly, but I did my best!



When I watched the first two episodes, I didn't realize that Sung Kang -- Han of the FAST AND FURIOUS films -- played one of the characters.


A giant TIE fighter photo op location:



A gazillion different STAR WARS t-shirts for sale:



Late in the day my interests in STAR WARS and Disneyland merged with a panel discussion on the history of Disneyland's Star Tours ride. I was excited to spot the great Disneyland Imagineer Tony Baxter outside the stage where the panel took place:




The panel was moderated by Ashley Eckstein, the voice of Ahsoka Tano in STAR WARS animated series.





It was a very thorough discussion of the ride's history and even included the original simulator video we enjoyed on the ride for so many years before it switched to an updated 3-D version in 2011.



Attention fans of THE MANDALORIAN: I'll have another photo post here in the near future on the day's highlight for me, a special exhibit of the show's costumes and props. THE MANDALORIAN is my favorite STAR WARS since the original movie trilogy; I was thrilled by a really wonderful exhibit, and I took so many photos it needs its own post! (Update: Please visit my photo post Star Wars Celebration: The Mandalorian Experience.)

Star Wars Celebration will next take place in London from April 7th to 10th, 2023.

3 Comments:

Blogger DKoren said...

Wow, so cool! Loving those photos and the write up. Looking forward to more!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Hamlette (Rachel) said...

Ahhhh! Wow, this just looks so amazing. Looking forward to your Mandalorian-centric post :-9

4:47 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Deb and Rachel! Thanks so much for your comments, I'm very glad you enjoyed these Star Wars Celebration pics!

In case you or anyone else haven't yet come across my post on the MANDALORIAN exhibit, here's the link:

http://laurasmiscmusings.blogspot.com/2022/06/star-wars-celebration-mandalorian.html

Best wishes,
Laura

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older