Saturday, September 17, 2022

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...Lots of news to share after a weekend off! We'll start off with some updates from Kino Lorber on future releases. THE DIAMOND WIZARD (1954) starring Dennis O'Keefe and restored by the 3D Film Archive, will be out November 15th. It includes 2D and 3D versions (with glasses!) and a commentary by Mike Ballew.

...Announced by Kino Lorber for November 29th: The Dark Side of Cinema XI with A WOMAN'S VENGEANCE (1948), I WAS A SHOPLIFTER (1950), and BEHIND THE HIGH WALL (1956). A WOMAN'S VENGEANCE will have a commentary by Jason A. Ney.

...The Warner Archive Collection's October Blu-ray releases are DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE (1931) and MARK OF THE VAMPIRE (1935).

...ClassicFlix has just combined its previous releases of Season 1 and Season 2 of PUBLIC DEFENDER (1954-55) into a Complete Series collection.

...The upcoming Lifetime movie A CHRISTMAS SPARK (2022) will reunite Jane Seymour and Joe Lando, stars of DR. QUINN, MEDICINE WOMAN (1993-98). Lifetime has some other interesting holiday films coming, including Rita Moreno appearing in SANTA BOOTCAMP (2022) and Jodie Sweetin (MERRY & BRIGHT) in MERRY SWISSMAS (2022).

...It's hard to believe, but the TV series THE WALTONS (1972-81) is now 50 years old. I vividly remember watching the very first episode, about a little deaf girl. I was hooked and I don't believe I ever missed an episode in its decade-long run -- not an easy feat in pre-VCR days. (When I got a VCR, A DECADE OF THE WALTONS was the first thing I recorded.)...Last year the CW network remade THE HOMECOMING (1971) as THE WALTONS' HOMECOMING (2021). This year a new special is on the way, A WALTONS THANKSGIVING (2022), airing November 20th. I recorded the film last year but haven't gotten around to watching it yet...maybe I will someday.

...Here's an interesting just-published Hitchcock book: THE ARCHITECTURE OF SUSPENSE: THE BUILT WORLD IN THE FILMS OF ALFRED HITCHCOCK by Christine Madrid French, from the University of Virginia Press. The foreword is by Alan Hess who wrote two great books in my collection, GOOGIE REDUX: ULTRAMODERN ROADSIDE ARCHITECTURE and RANCH HOUSE. For a sample from THE ARCHITECTURE OF SUSPENSE, Vanity Fair recently adapted the chapter on NORTH BY NORTHWEST (1959).

...I just recently became aware of the book MAKING THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES by Alison Macor, published by University of Texas Press.

...THE FARROWS OF HOLLYWOOD by Marilyn Ann Moss, published by Skyhorse and distributed by Simon & Schuster, has had its publication date pushed back from next month to January 2023.  (October 2022 Update: The book is now scheduled for a February 7th publication date.) (December 2022 Update: The book is now scheduled for March 7th.) (February 2023 Update: The release date has changed yet again, to April 11, 2023.)


...John Stamos, who starred on GENERAL HOSPITAL in the years I watched it and later was part of the cast of FULL HOUSE (1987-95), has a memoir due out in 2023, IF YOU WOULD HAVE TOLD ME. Stamos grew up not far from where I live in North Orange County and is a huge Disneyland fan with impressive park memorabilia in his backyard.

...I ordered Alicia Malone's BACKWARDS AND IN HEELS: THE PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE OF WOMEN WORKING IN FILM thanks to this review by Karen Burroughs Hannsberry at Shadows and Satin. I liked Malone's GIRLS ON FILM: LESSONS FROM A LIFE OF WATCHING WOMEN IN MOVIES earlier this year.


...From Leonard Maltin: "Where Film Buffs Get Their Thrill."  I enjoyed saying hello to Mr. Maltin at last weekend's D23 Expo. I also had the pleasure of briefly chatting with film and Disney historian J.B. Kaufman at the Expo.

...Cineworld Group, the parent company of the Regal and Edwards theater chains, recently declared bankruptcy...In other theater news, look for Hollywood's Cinerama Dome to reopen in 2023.

...I'm intrigued by this trailer for SEE HOW THEY RUN (2022), an Agatha Christie style mystery starring Saoirse Ronan and Sam Rockwell. The film, which opens this weekend, is set against the backdrop of West End theater in 1950s London.

...Another interesting upcoming film is Steven Spielberg's semi-autobiographical THE FABELMANS (2022); here's a trailer.  Justin Chang, an L.A. Times critic I enjoy, gave a thumbs up to THE FABELMANS at the Toronto Film Festival. In the same review Chang enthuses about GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY (2022), which is a sequel to KNIVES OUT (2019); here's the trailer for that film. John Defore of The Hollywood Reporter said GLASS ONION is "wildly enjoyable." THE FABELMANS is due out November 23rd; GLASS ONION will appear in theaters this fall at a date to be announced, then debut on Netflix December 23rd.

...Disney has officially removed the planned STAR WARS film ROGUE SQUADRON from its release schedule. It was originally to be directed by Patty Jenkins (WONDER WOMAN) for release at Christmas 2023. Jenkins is said to have "scheduling conflicts." Films added to the release calendar include SNOW WHITE (2024), with WONDER WOMAN's Gal Gado as the Evil Queen opposite Rachel Zegler (WEST SIDE STORY) in the title role; INSIDE OUT 2 (2024), a sequel to INSIDE OUT (2015); and MUFASA (2024), a spinoff from THE LION KING (1994).

...Here's a great-looking CD due out in a few weeks, with music from WHITE CHRISTMAS (1954) and HOLIDAY INN (1942). It's "a release of complete film scores...from pre-recordings made during the filmmaking process." This sounds especially interesting as a WHITE CHRISTMAS soundtrack album was never available due to Rosemary Clooney's recording contract obligations; instead an album was released with Peggy Lee singing Clooney's songs alongside Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, and Trudy Stevens, who dubbed Vera-Ellen in the film.  The new CD set is a "Day One" purchase for me.

...Next month Annette Bochenek is hosting the "Take Two! Blogathon" on movie remakes. Participation details are at her blog Hometowns to Hollywood.

...From earlier this year at Cinema Scholars: "The Los Angeles Homes of Barbara Stanwyck" by Benjamin McVey. I always enjoy his photo-filled articles on celebrity homes.

...Interesting recent classic film reviews include KC of Watching Classic Movies on the new Flicker Alley release THE SILENT ENEMY (1930)...Jessica wrote about Joan Leslie and Robert Alda in CINDERELLA JONES (1946) for her blog Comet Over Hollywood...At 50 Westerns From the 50s Toby has reviewed CONQUEST OF COCHISE (1953), which reunited Robert Stack and Joy Page from BULLFIGHTER AND THE LADY (1951); John Hodiak costars...CineSavant Glenn Erickson wrote about Kino Lorber's brand-new Blu-ray release of SO PROUDLY WE HAIL! (1943) for Trailers From Hell. Look for a review of that disc here in the future...Erickson also reviewed a new region-free Blu-ray film noir set from Australia's Viavision/Imprint. Two of the films in the set, THE STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS (1946) and THE TURNING POINT (1952), are also out on Blu-ray in the U.S. next week from Kino Lorber...At Riding the High Country Colin reviews Audie Murphy's DRUMS ACROSS THE RIVER (1954). Be sure to catch the Robert Fuller interview with Cheryl Rogers Barnett which Walter links to in the comments. That led me to a whole list of interesting interviews Barnett has available on YouTube. I'll add that I've had the pleasure of meeting Barnett at the Lone Pine Film Festival and she's an extremely nice and friendly lady.

...Notable Passing: Henry Silva has passed away at the age of 95. His half-century film career included the classic Budd Boetticher-Randolph Scott Western THE TALL T (1957), seen here, where he was absolutely chilling as one of Richard Boone's trigger-happy (but not too smart) henchmen. Silva was in several other Westerns including THE LAW AND JAKE WADE (1958), THE BRAVADOS (1958), RIDE A CROOKED TRAIL (1958), and THE JAYHAWKERS! (1959). Other notable credits were OCEAN'S 11 (1960) and THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (1962). His last credit was a cameo in the OCEAN'S 11 (2001) remake.

...More Notable Passings: Artist Lorinda Roland, the daughter of Gilbert Roland and Constance Bennett, has died. She was 84. She is survived by a sister, Gyl Roland.  Both girls are pictured here with their mother, with their half-brother Peter seen with their mother in the portrait on the wall...Actor-Screenwriter Mark Miller has died at 97. He starred with Pat Crowley on TV's PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES (1965-67) and was in countless other TV shows. His writing credits including cowriting A WALK IN THE CLOUDS (1995) with Keanu Reeves and Anthony Quinn. Miller was the father of actress Penelope Ann Miller...Greek actress Irene Papas has died in Greece; I've seen her age listed as both 93 and 96. Her films included TRIBUTE TO A BAD MAN (1956) with James Cagney; THE GUNS OF NAVARONE (1961) with Gregory Peck heading a large cast; Disney's THE MOON-SPINNERS (1964) with Hayley Mills; and ZORBA THE GREEK (1964) with Anthony Quinn, who was also in NAVARONE.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my September 3rd roundup.

5 Comments:

Blogger Vienna said...

Thanks for all the info on film/ book releases.
I hadn’t heard of The Diamond Wizard which looks good. I read your review and mention of Margaret Sheridan whom I will always remember in The Thing from Another World. She only made a few films and passed away at the age of 55.
I loved The Waltons and am sure I saw every episode.
Have just seen See How They Run and thoroughly enjoyed it. Set in London in 1953, there are lots of Hollywood references - Grace Kelly, Hitchcock, The African Queen. Saoirse Ronan is new to me and was impressive as the eager young policewoman who helps Sam Rockwell ( with a ropey English accent) solve two murders set during the run of Agatha Christie’s The Mousetrap.
Don’t miss it!

2:17 AM  
Blogger john k said...

Hi Laura,
I too cannot wait for THE DIAMOND WIZARD a good little thriller with Sci Fi elements as well.
It's always a thrill to see these obscure B Movies restored in sparkling high def. I don't have the kit to view 3D TV but I understand there is a version that can be viewed in 3D
the glasses supplied like the German version of REVENGE OF THE CREATURE several years ago. Of course the version needing a 3D TV & player cannot be topped. I'm also thrilled about the forthcoming I,THE JURY in 3D & 2D with faves Preston Foster and Peggie Castle. Leading man Biff Elliott had a long time friendship with Jack Lemmon-he had a key role in Lemmon's SAVE THE TIGER one of Jack's best dramatic turns if not the best-certainly in my opinion.
I recently got the Imprint Essential Noir Vol 3 and THE STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS is a knockout. The 4K scan from Paramount is sensational although DVD Beaver think the Kino version is even better-still I'm so excited to have this wonderful Noir in high def. I'm going to generate flak here but I feel that it's Van Heflin's show all the way-he and Lizabeth Scott make a wonderful Noir team. THE TURNING POINT is wonderful too with a very good role for Alexis Smith-hard to believe that she never got a Hollywood "star" an outrage in my opinion. The set is rounded out with THE DESPERATE HOURS first time in high def and NO MAN OF HER OWN. The latter really was a revelation as far as I'm concerned with Lyle Bettger surely one of the most nasty ever bad guys in the film. In NO MAN OF HER OWN buffs will enjoy spotting Phyllis Thaxter,Richard Denning,Milburn Stone and Carole Matthews.
My "discovery" of the year was Imprint's recent THE SCARLET HOUR with Michael Curtiz working with a virtually unknown cast. It's a knockout little Noir and the Vista Vision transfer is jaw dropping-Laura you will love spotting the locations in this film. I thought Carol Ohmart showed real promise in this film and it's a shame she never became a star although she does have a cult following these days. The commentary from Alan K Rode is wonderful with valuable background on the three leads and lots more besides-certainly well worth a second listen. All of Imprint's BluRay's are region free.

4:56 AM  
Blogger Hamlette (Rachel) said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I have been waiting my entire life for a real White Christmas soundtrack!!!! I'm so happy and excited!!!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Hi, Laura - thank you so much for the mention about my review. I hope you will appreciate Alicia's book as much as I did. I'll bet John Stamos's memoir will be interesting - I sure would like to see his memorabilia! I'm looking very much forward to See How They Run; I'm always ready to see a production in the style of Agatha Christie - plus, I'm a big fan of both Saoirse Ronan and Sam Rockwell. The Fabelmans sounds good, too!

6:42 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi everyone, I'm catching up after a hectic workweek! Thank you all so very much for reading and commenting, I greatly enjoyed everyone's thoughts.

Vienna, I really wish Sheridan had made more films - her young death is so sad. I remember my first viewing of THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD a few years ago and wondering where that delightful film had been all my life! Loved her in it.

I'm very glad to know you enjoyed SEE HOW THEY RUN - I hope to see it in the next couple of days, now that my "work crunch" is over. Glad to read your enthused review - the Hollywood references sound like fun! (I saw THE MOUSETRAP way back in the '80s during a college trip!) I particularly recommend Saoirse Ronan in BROOKLN (2015). I had issues with the interpretation but she's also good as Jo in the most recent version of LITTLE WOMEN (2019).

John, how good to hear from you! I am really thrilled that THE DIAMOND WIZARD is getting such a deluxe presentation -- more Dennis O'Keefe available is always a good thing! Having seen I, THE JURY at a 3D film fest a number of years ago I'm enthused about that release as well. You'll see that I mentioned THE SCARLET HOUR in my newest roundup -- I got to see it at Alan Rode's noir fest and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd love to get it and see his commentary too! Great to hear the good word on Kino's release of THE STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS after years of poor public domain prints. I'll be watching and reviewing it soon!

Rachel, I'm totally with you, can hardly believe we get some kind of soundtrack for WHITE CHRISTMAS, which is one of my all-time favorite films. Absolutely wonderful news!

Karen, my copy of the book you reviewed just arrived! Now I just need time to read it -- it may be a bit as I also have some books I'm committed to review for the blog. I hadn't been sure what it was about and your description sounded really interesting, thank you! Would love to know your thoughts on SEE HOW THEY RUN when you catch it!

Thank you all again!

Best wishes,
Laura


2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older