Thursday, April 28, 2022

The 2022 TCM Classic Film Festival: Day One

My TCM Classic Film Festival experience always kicks off on Wednesday, the day before the films start rolling.


It's a day to check in for my pass, do some shopping, get settled at my hotel, and attend the annual media event, as well as enjoy socializing with friends from around the country.


This year the media bag included the brand-new book DANGER ON THE SILVER SCREEN: 50 FILMS CELEBRATING CINEMA'S GREATEST STUNTS by TCM's Scott McGee. The entire bag was nice; I also especially enjoyed receiving an insulated TCM tumbler.


Shortly after receiving the press bag I walked down the street to Larry Edmunds Bookshop, where I knew Scott happened to be holding a book signing.


It was wonderful being able to have him sign my copy of DANGER ON THE SILVER SCREEN, which I'm very much looking forward to reading. It's not a topic about which I know a great deal, so I'm sure I'll learn quite a bit of new information.


Then it was off to the TCM Boutique, which this year was set up outdoors, in front of the Chinese Theatre.


I came home with a number of fun things with the TCM and festival logos, including t-shirts, mugs, and a tote bag.


I also completed my check-in at the Hollywood Celebrity Hotel, located on Orchid Avenue behind the mall which houses the Chinese Multiplex Theatres. It was great to discover that the hotel had upgraded its facilities in the three years since the last festival, including replacing carpet with hard flooring. I've been staying there during festivals since 2015 and have always found it a clean, congenial setting.


Then it was time to head to the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel for the media welcome reception, held in Club TCM, otherwise known as the Blossom Room, where the first Academy Awards were held.


TCM General Manager Pola Changnon sat down for a conversation and Q&A session with all five TCM hosts.  (Click on this or any photo to enlarge for a closer look.)


Seen left to right are Changnon, Eddie Muller, Jacqueline Stewart, Dave Karger, Alicia Malone, and Ben Mankiewicz.


There was also plenty of time for mingling and photos with the hosts!


We had a nice surprise near the end of the reception, an appearance by '70s "blaxploitation" star Pam Grier, whose film COFFY (1973) was shown during the festival.


Grier was a lively character, and it was a lot of fun to hear from her.


During the reception it was announced that Grier would be teaming with Ben Mankiewicz...


...for the newest season of TCM's podcast THE PLOT THICKENS. Grier and Mankiewicz had fun chemistry so I'd anticipate their discussions will be both entertaining and interesting.


As always, there was a nice costume display in Club TCM. This year featured clothes worn by Rock Hudson and Elizabeth Taylor in GIANT (1956); a restored print of the movie was screened during the festival.


These costumes were memorably worn by Paul Henreid and Ingrid Bergman in CASABLANCA (1942). It's fascinating seeing the colors of costumes from black and white movies!


Here are two Judy Garland outfits from A STAR IS BORN (1954).


And it was a nice surprise to realize that these hats displayed behind the bar were from MY FAIR LADY (1964)!


Wednesday came to a lovely close as my husband and I had dinner at Miceli's with longtime friends Raquel (of the Out of the Past blog) and her husband Carlos.


Coming soon: Photos from Day Two of the festival, which was the first day movies were screened.


4 Comments:

Blogger Walter S. said...

Laura, thank you for taking me along on your visit to the Turner Classic Film Festival, by way of write-ups and photographs.

I liked what the talented and beautiful Pam Grier had to say in appreciation of audiences and the professional crews that make movies, tv, and film festivals possible.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Lynn Rutledge said...

It's fun attending the festival vicariously through you. Looking forward to more posts and reviews! And by the way, I recently watched Heaven Can Wait (78) for the first time in decades, and found it delightful. That was one case where I enjoyed the remake as much or more than the original. I'll be interested to read your opinions of it.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

I always enjoy reading your impressions of your festival experiences. I was surprised to see the colors of the Ingrid Berman CASABLANCA outfit, had no idea.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you all very much for reading! I'm so glad you have enjoyed the photos and my reports from the festival. More to come!

Pam Grier seemed like a nice lady, Walter...fun personality.

Lynn, thank you for your endorsement of HEAVEN CAN WAIT, that's really fun to hear you also have revisited it and liked it. I'm looking forward to it.

Jacqueline, wasn't that costume interesting to see off the screen? I never would have imagined the colors that way.

Best wishes,
Laura

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older