Saturday, February 04, 2023

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...Kino Lorber Studio Classics has announced the release date for THE MISSISSIPPI GAMBLER (1953) Blu-ray will be April 11th. Even better, it will have a commentary track by Toby Roan of 50 Westerns From the 50s. Tyrone Power, Piper Laurie, and Julie Adams star, directed by Rudolph Mate.

...Also coming to Blu-ray from Kino Lorber: Gary Cooper, Rita Hayworth, and Van Heflin in THEY CAME TO CORDURA (1959) on April 11th and THE BIG EASY (1987) with Dennis Quaid and Ellen Barkin on April 4th; the latter will have a commentary by the film's director, Jim McBride.

...Coming to DVD from the ClassicFlix Silver Series on April 25th: LIFE WITH FATHER (1947).

...I really enjoyed Jessica's Comet Over Hollywood review of the MGM musical TILL THE CLOUDS ROLL BY (1946). I have fond memories of seeing it at the late, lamented Leo S. Bing Theater at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art as a child, and many times since, but I've not seen it lately. I'll have to rectify that!

...Here's an interesting story about Arlene Dahl in her early years in Hollywood and how Joan Fontaine came to her rescue at a dinner party.

...Glenn Erickson reviews Fritz Lang's RANCHO NOTORIOUS (1952), starring Marlene Dietrich, just out on Blu-ray from the Warner Archive Collection.

...My friend Jandy has written a wonderful piece reviewing films in the Criterion Channel's recent Joan Bennett series.

...This month's lineup at the Criterion Channel includes four films apiece from Robert Siodmak and Douglas Sirk, plus three comedies starring Doris Day and Rock Hudson.

...Over at The Federalist, Josh Shepherd wrote an interesting article about five films not recognized by this year's Oscar nominations. I'm really interested in seeing the documentary GOOD NIGHT OPPY (2022).

...With Valentine's Day on the way I'd like to point readers toward my two past columns recommending movie romances, "Ten Movies for Valentine's Day" and "Ten Movie Valentines for Valentine's Day." There are some really special films discussed in these posts.

...Last week I revisited Tyrone Power, Loretta Young, and Don Ameche in LOVE IS NEWS (1937) for the first time in many years. What fun! I think I liked it even better this time around. A 77-minute running time makes in the perfect short film to watch at the end of a long day.

...Mill Creek has announced they've made a deal with Disney to release between 100-200 films in the Disney library. It will be interesting to learn more going forward.

...I enjoyed Gary Wells' review of William Holden and Kay Lenz in BREEZY (1973) at Vintage Leisure; he wrote more here. I saw it a couple years ago and his enthusiasm made me feel like it would be worth a second look.

...Notable Passings: Melinda Dillon, whose films included CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND (1977), ABSENCE OF MALICE (1981), and A CHRISTMAS STORY (1983), has passed away at the age of 83...Lisa Loring, who was Wednesday on the original THE ADDAMS FAMILY TV series (1964-66), has died at 64. She also played Cricket Montgomery on the soap AS THE WORLD TURNS...Cindy Williams of AMERICAN GRAFFITI (1973) and LAVERNE AND SHIRLEY (1976-82) has passed on at 75. She's seen here with Ron Howard in AMERICAN GRAFFITI.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my January 28th roundup.

3 Comments:

Blogger Hamlette (Rachel) said...

Ooooooh, I hope hope hope that this new distribution deal for older Disney titles might include things like seasons 2 and 3 of Five Mile Creek! Keeping my fingers crossed...

10:17 AM  
Blogger john k said...

This will NEVER happen but I'm going to post it anyway-what I'd love to see happen from Mill Creek Fox/Disney is a revival of the Fox Archives series series mainly old B & W movies and NO CinemaScope films released as 4x3.
Actually many of the old Fox Archives B & W movies were in pretty good shape even if Mill Creek maintained the same quality I would not complain-just anything to see these old rare "lost" movies-I admit many of them probably do not have releasable surviving elements.
What I'd love to see is more of those Sol Wertzel Fox Programmer movies-I just love them.
Here is a list of my most wanted Wertzels (and others) 'though I realise I'm just dreaming.

HUMAN CARGO (1936) Brian Donlevy,Claire Trevor
15 MAIDEN LANE (1936) Claire Trevor,Cesare Romero, Douglas Fowley,Lloyd Nolan.
THAT I MAY LIVE (1937) Rochelle Hudson, Robert Kent
MIDNIGHT TAXI (1937) Brian Donlevy, Frances Drake, Gilbert Roland
SHARPSHOOTERS (1938) Brian Donlevy.Lynn Bari
The "Roving Reporters" Series with Michael Whelan and Jean Rogers
WHILE NEW YORK SLEEPS (1938)
TIME OUT FOR MURDER (1938)
INSIDE STORY (1939)

CADET GIRL (1941) Carol Landis,George Montgomery,John Sheppard,Janis Carter
BOMBERS MOON (1943) George Montgomery, Annabella, Kent Taylor
DANGEROUS MILLIONS (1946) Kent Taylor, Dona Drake
And Finally Sol's attempt to turn football star John Kimborough into a B Western hero
SUNDOWN JIM (1942) Kimborough, Virginia Gilmore, Arleen Whelan.


4:51 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Here's hoping for some good releases, Rachel!

John, wow would I love the Fox Cinema Archives series to resume. I agree, the '30s-'40s FCA releases generally looked good to great. The color/widescreen releases were much more variable.

I would totally love to see this list! 36 HOURS TO KILL with Donlevy was terrific, I'd love to see his other films listed here. Preston Foster's films with Lynn Bari are another idea -- they released SECRET AGENT OF JAPAN (1942) but there are two more, NEWS IS MADE AT NIGHT (1939) and CHASING DANGER (1939). Some of the FCA films were fairly obscure so it's not entirely outside reason for such titles if the series were revived. I can dream...!

Best wishes,
Laura

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older